New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Multiple unit enclosure with fan???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dasein77

Dasein77 is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone,
New to the forum...part time visitor, first time posting.

First: I'm working on using my Mac mini exclusively as a movie server. Have it connected to my TV and will be purchasing a 2 terabyte external to transfer all my all my movies to. I like to keep them in video_ts, so I'm having Front Row open at start up and read off of the hard drive. Works great for me...

Second: I also have 2 other Macs, an Iphone and a PC that I need to keep backed up. So I was thinking about getting a terabyte Time Capsule to use as my wireless router and as my backup for all non-DVD stuff.

So here's my question. I will have the mac mini, external hard drive, and a time capsule all in the same location and I'd like to be able to stack them without worrying about overheating (especially the time capsule). Is there an enclosure unit with a fan that can hold all three and keep them cool? I know I could get individual enclosures for the mac mini and hard drive (do they make a good one for the time capsule?), but I'd like to have one unit, perhaps with shelving and one fan, that could hold all three.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I wouldn't put the Time Capsule in proximity of the other devices, much less stacked. The placement of your wireless router is absolutely critical to its range and performance. Generally, you want to have your wireless router up high and central to your home. It should also be away from other devices that emit radio frequencies.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Dasein77

Dasein77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
I wouldn't put the Time Capsule in proximity of the other devices, much less stacked. The placement of your wireless router is absolutely critical to its range and performance. Generally, you want to have your wireless router up high and central to your home. It should also be away from other devices that emit radio frequencies.
i thought of that, perhaps I shouldn't stack the time capsule. regardless, it is going to be in the same general vicinity as the other devices, as my internet cable connection is only in one location in my condo. i wanted to stack due to the layout of my entertainment center...just easier to have them all in one nook near where the cable hole is in the back.

at the very least i would like a cooling unit for the time capsule, as they are prone to overheating...so i've heard. perhaps the newer editions aren't as prone, but does anyone know of a decent cooling apparatus for the time capsule?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasein77 View Post
i thought of that, perhaps I shouldn't stack the time capsule. regardless, it is going to be in the same general vicinity as the other devices, as my internet cable connection is only in one location in my condo. i wanted to stack due to the layout of my entertainment center...just easier to have them all in one nook near where the cable hole is in the back.

at the very least i would like a cooling unit for the time capsule, as they are prone to overheating...so i've heard. perhaps the newer editions aren't as prone, but does anyone know of a decent cooling apparatus for the time capsule?
Is it a newer condo? If so, I'd be surprised if it wasn't wired with Ethernet.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New External HDD | Keyboard Problems »