New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Magic Trackpad, but still no wireless number pad: Why??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I know Apple is anti-buttons and maybe it's because I'm a bit of a numbers guy, but why in the world doesn't Apple offer a wireless number pad or at least add it to their wireless keyboard. It just seems so odd not to offer it. Does anyone else feel that way?

I wonder if the magic trackpad has enough "touch zones" that you could actually program it to be used as a number pad and put some kind of clear number label sticker on top. If that's possible I'd probably get one today.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
RadioSaigon

RadioSaigon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0

+1 for the wireless number pad! Bring it on!!!

You listening @apple???
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
I know Apple is anti-buttons and maybe it's because I'm a bit of a numbers guy, but why in the world doesn't Apple offer a wireless number pad or at least add it to their wireless keyboard. It just seems so odd not to offer it. Does anyone else feel that way?

I wonder if the magic trackpad has enough "touch zones" that you could actually program it to be used as a number pad and put some kind of clear number label sticker on top. If that's possible I'd probably get one today.
I think you're onto something there. Except I would think a touch-screen surface (similar to the iPad) would be better. Maybe have a "keyboard" button on the trackpad that could toggle between a number pad and gestures.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

They just need to offer a 104-key wireless keyboard to compliment the existing wireless keyboard. I think when they released the current one, the thought was to keep it smaller to use with your HTPC machine.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
markd

markd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Intel

I'm still using the wired 104-key keyboard. I would love to go bluetooth but I use the numeric keypad a lot.

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
They just need to offer a 104-key wireless keyboard to compliment the existing wireless keyboard.
Exactly. I get sick of typing IP addresses out all day on my MBP!
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
They just need to offer a 104-key wireless keyboard to compliment the existing wireless keyboard. I think when they released the current one, the thought was to keep it smaller to use with your HTPC machine.
True. They do just need a wireless version of the 104-keyboard. It's ridiculous they don't offer it. I would love to have Apple's keyboard, but I need a number pad and I need wireless to easily put the keyboard to the side when I need more desk space. Since apple doesn't deliver, I had to buy from someone who will.

An Apple wireless 104-key with a magic trackpad on the left (I'm a lefty) would be perfect!

:drool:

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I'm left-handed also, but I always use my mouse with my right hand. I just never could get used to using it in my left hand.

And I agree it's annoying they don't have a wireless 104-key keyboard.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfuller View Post
Exactly. I get sick of typing IP addresses out all day on my MBP!
Amen. That's when I notice it too. I love the keyboard otherwise.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

Nighthawk4 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad 32GB 3G, iPhone 16GB 3G

I tried to switch over to the Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard and Trackpad and then tried to play NWN1. I was stuck due to the lack of so many keys which are essential for that game. A full-size Bluetooth Keyboard would resolve that.

Until then I had to go back to my Logitech USB Wireless Keyboard, which is full size.

It doesn't look as cool and takes up a lot more deskspace, but it has the keys I need
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all

Uh-oh, looks like Canon just released a mouse/10-keypad/calculator in one for $63. Coming out in November. Apple is probably gonna feel the pinch from this one, as it could replace the magic mouse and magic trackpad (if you don't mind a mouse instead of a trackpad).
Canon's X Mark I Mouse triples as calculator, numeric keypad, fame attractor -- Engadget

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

I don't like the look of that mouse. Firstly it's not magical as they claim. And secondly every time I used it I'd have to worry about hitting the keys accidentally. And also I never look at my mouse when I use it. And that little calculator means I have to move my head to the mouse and back to my screen if I was to add up things on it. No good. And it's not a scientific calculator or a graphing calculator. Sure 99% of these people have no need for a fancy calculator but all the geeky nerds who would think about buying a mouse like this would have a use for such a fancy calculator.

So in short that mouse + number pad looks really nice. But not for me so I am not in the market for one.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
I don't like the look of that mouse. Firstly it's not magical as they claim. And secondly every time I used it I'd have to worry about hitting the keys accidentally. And also I never look at my mouse when I use it. And that little calculator means I have to move my head to the mouse and back to my screen if I was to add up things on it. No good. And it's not a scientific calculator or a graphing calculator. Sure 99% of these people have no need for a fancy calculator but all the geeky nerds who would think about buying a mouse like this would have a use for such a fancy calculator.

So in short that mouse + number pad looks really nice. But not for me so I am not in the market for one.
I understand.
I can operate a desk calculator by touch, so I wouldn't have to look at the mouse. Although, I imagine it probably would take a little bit to get used to the buttons being smaller and closer together than a desk calculator.
I think it would be a fine interim device until Apple eventually (hopefully) comes up with some sort of trackpad/10-keypad device in the future. But I think it's an acceptable solution for now. I mostly posted this because of the OP's reference to some sort of desktop 10-key device combined with cursor control. But I do prefer a trackpad over a mouse.

QUOTE Thanks
kernowguy

kernowguy is on a distinguished road

Found one that looks perfect with wireless keyboard. Check out the link to Gearzap. Looks good anyone seen one in the "flesh"?

Wireless Bluetooth Number Keypad for Apple Mac - GearZap.com
QUOTE Thanks
6588Juliet

6588Juliet is on a distinguished road

This kerfuffle about no numeric keypad on the mac wireless keyboard reminds me of falling in love with the "perfect" person...only to want them to change once you have your claws into him or her. The wireless keyboard doesn't have a numeric keypad...because it doesn't. Apple products are about aesthetics as much as design and features. Aesthetics are what true Apple Heads have always coveted. Apple does its best to meld the three. But in the end, it has to feel like art. And if utilitarian aspects, like a numeric keypad, detract from its beauty, lightness, and tactile experience...it has to be jettisoned. This is what all the PC converts to Mac have to understand. Otherwise, break up with Apple and find something else. But don't compromise a beautifully designed Apple product.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External HDD bit the dust...can I put a new disk in? | Netbook Recommendation »