New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

So whos getting a Magic Trackpad? I know I am.!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mickyfin

Mickyfin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 12TB Yosmite

Been waiting for the Magic Trackpad to materialize ever since I spotted the rumors, and today it becomes real. I was going for the Magic Mouse, but after seeing the rumor, I had to hold out in case it was true, and today is the day

$69 too its not too expensive, and at 80% bigger than the trackpad on the MBP, its going to be great with my Wireless Apple Keyboard.
QUOTE Thanks
Dragonhunter

Dragonhunter is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2009 MacBook, Touch 2ndgen 16g iOS 4

Saw it lon LifeHacker this morning. Looks VERY nice. If I had a Mac Desktop I'd have already ordered it.

Unfortunately, I'm shackled to a PC at work and can't install diddly-squat, to include device drivers, even if the wonderful new trackpad DID have Windows drivers and my stupid HP did have BT....

Alas. Very nice, I like the integration with the wireless KB too. I don't need a Mac desktop...but that makes it all tha more attractive.

Dragonhunter
QUOTE Thanks
mknabster

mknabster has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac

I know, i saw that on Apple's site this morning, that's a very intuitive idea. I have a MBP though, so I guess I already have one lol.

-Matt
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

I'm going to try one out at the Apple Store this weekend. It would be very nice to use it instead of my BT mouse to control my Mini which is hooked up to the TV. I've messed with iPhone "remotes" but have found the lag to be clumsy and irritating when trying to run Boxee or Hulu on the Mini. Plus, mousing on one's leg or arm rest is not always very accurate either.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
I'm going to try one out at the Apple Store this weekend. It would be very nice to use it instead of my BT mouse to control my Mini which is hooked up to the TV. I've messed with iPhone "remotes" but have found the lag to be clumsy and irritating when trying to run Boxee or Hulu on the Mini. Plus, mousing on one's leg or arm rest is not always very accurate either.
Should be a perfect fit for your needs. The iPhone / Touch remotes do suck. I have the Boxee remote and the one to control AppleTV and they are more hassle than it is worth.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickyfin View Post
Been waiting for the Magic Trackpad to materialize ever since I spotted the rumors, and today it becomes real. I was going for the Magic Mouse, but after seeing the rumor, I had to hold out in case it was true, and today is the day

$69 too its not too expensive, and at 80% bigger than the trackpad on the MBP, its going to be great with my Wireless Apple Keyboard.
You pretty much took the words right out of my mouth. I actually want to use the "Magic Trackpad" for 2 different reasons (I have an older MBP which doesn't have all of the track pad gestures):

1. Sometimes when I use my laptop (on my lap) while watching TV...sometimes I like to put my MBP on the table in front of me...and "kick back" on the couch....while using a wired or wireless mouse. With the magic track pad I'll get all the gestures & the ease of a trackpad vs. a mouse.

2. Use the Magic Trackpad like a remote control for my MBP (33 foot range)....for when I hook my MBP to the TV for streaming internet video. This way I don't need a super long DVI-HDMI cable & a super long audio cable from the MBP to the TV...and still be able to control the MBP.

At $69 bucks it's pricing is in line with other Apple products like the Magic Mouse...and if someone really likes the Magic Trackpad...there's no real reason to wait...since Apple hardly ever reduces the prices on input devices.

Unless someone can talk me out of it...I may go get a Magic Trackpad today!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

We expect photos and a write up by 9 PM. Just kidding. Please do let us know what you think of it when you do grab it. I won't be getting a shot at one until the weekend.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Wow that looks cool, if only they later bring out a bigger version that could easily wipe Wacom out of business.

Like XJ-linux, I am going to have to visit the store on regent street and give it a test drive, but I am scared I will walk out the store with a 59 hole in my bank account

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
ezcompane

ezcompane will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.

I'll be buying an iMac in a couple months and I will have one of these shipped with it. Looks way cool and will probably replace my Magic Mouse.

LIVE and PSN: EZCOMPANE
2008 MacBook Pro (2.5ghz C2D,6gb,80 SSD, 500 GB), iPad 32GB, iPhone 4 16gb, 2011 MacBook Air (11" 1.87 i7, 4GB, 128GB) 2010 MacBook Air (13" 1.86 C2D, 4gb, 128gb), Boxee, Netgear Stora
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
You pretty much took the words right out of my mouth. I actually want to use the "Magic Trackpad" for 2 different reasons (I have an older MBP which doesn't have all of the track pad gestures):

1. Sometimes when I use my laptop (on my lap) while watching TV...sometimes I like to put my MBP on the table in front of me...and "kick back" on the couch....while using a wired or wireless mouse. With the magic track pad I'll get all the gestures & the ease of a trackpad vs. a mouse.

2. Use the Magic Trackpad like a remote control for my MBP (33 foot range)....for when I hook my MBP to the TV for streaming internet video. This way I don't need a super long DVI-HDMI cable & a super long audio cable from the MBP to the TV...and still be able to control the MBP.

At $69 bucks it's pricing is in line with other Apple products like the Magic Mouse...and if someone really likes the Magic Trackpad...there's no real reason to wait...since Apple hardly ever reduces the prices on input devices.

Unless someone can talk me out of it...I may go get a Magic Trackpad today!

- Nick
He tasks me ! I am curious though.. why can't you use your mouse to the same capacity when your MBP is hooked up to the tv ? I do this with my Logitech bluetooth mouse. Gestures and all. And all I need is a surface to lay it on, doesn't have to be flat. Same goes for your first point. A mouse does it all.

Sure, the magic track pad looks pretty nifty but I just fail to see its true value aside from performing zoom pinch gestures. That in its self IS pretty cool to not have to have your laptop in front of you, I suppose. Does the magic carpet move the mouse pointer as well ?

Ya know when I'd get this thing ? When it is able to do a bit more. I'm thinking Wacom tablet replacement. I'd love to be able to use it for some small Photoshop use like... for the lasso tool, or for brush strokes. Now THAT would be well worth the money and then some.

I also would like an new iMac and will likely consider the Magic thingamajig, but not totally feelin' it right now. Not sure reviews will sway me, either. I mean, it is essentially just a big track pad, and I know how great they are already on both my MBP's.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
He tasks me ! I am curious though.. why can't you use your mouse to the same capacity when your MBP is hooked up to the tv ? I do this with my Logitech bluetooth mouse. Gestures and all. And all I need is a surface to lay it on, doesn't have to be flat. Same goes for your first point. A mouse does it all.
Hey...I'm not saying the Magic Trackpad is "super-duper" unique...I just think that the:

- wireless trackpad idea is better than a wireless mouse when you're say sitting on a couch watching TV & computing at the same time.
- I seem to use my laptop more then my desktop...so I think that I'm getting to prefer the trackpad input method vs. a mouse.
- a wireless mouse on a soft flexible couch cushion still isn't very precise (lots of skipping & hopping around of the pointer).
- lastly...I was actually (this past weekend) thinking about getting a "Magic Mouse"...but for the same price ($69)...I prefer the "Magic Trackpad".

Just my humble opinion,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Hey...I'm not saying the Magic Trackpad is "super-duper" unique...I just think that the:

- wireless trackpad idea is better than a wireless mouse when you're say sitting on a couch watching TV & computing at the same time.
- I seem to use my laptop more then my desktop...so I think that I'm getting to prefer the trackpad input method vs. a mouse.
- a wireless mouse on a soft flexible couch cushion still isn't very precise (lots of skipping & hopping around of the pointer).
- lastly...I was actually (this past weekend) thinking about getting a "Magic Mouse"...but for the same price ($69)...I prefer the "Magic Trackpad".

Just my humble opinion,

- Nick
Yeah, I'm kind of with you on all that. And so... I'll likely get it too ! haha.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Pro External Monitor Not Crisp | esata external drive »