New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

MagSafe bad connection?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ComputerStation

ComputerStation is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MBP 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 250GB HD 4GB Ram OS X 10.6.4 IOMega 1TB External HD iPod nano 3g 8GB

Yet another problem has struck my MacBook Pro 13 in the space of a few months. I bought this computer back in May (I think). Anyway it's one of the new April 2010 ones. But I have had multiple problems with it, first the hard drive died and now the MagSafe won't work.

So I went to use my computer today to find that the battery was running on reserve power. So I pulled my MagSafe off my shelf and plugged it in (As you would ) and it started to charge normal at first, but then I wondered why it said again that it was running on reserves. So I checked that it was plugged in the wall outlet all the way which it was, and then moved on to the power brick - again same thing, it was all connected. I go over and check my computer and yet again everything is connected as it normally would be.

So I wondered why there was no light on the MagSafe and started Google-ing the problem, but there were no solutions to my problem (This was in the space of 30 mins by the way). So I started to do some "diagnostics" of my own, and in a few minutes I figured out that when I hold my MacBook vertically with the I/O facing upwards and the SuperDrive facing downwards it starts to charge as normal, then when I put it in normal position it stops charging.

Do you think this is a problem with the MacBook or the MagSafe?

I have tried cleaning the connections, trying different outlets, but still no luck.

Google wasn't giving me any helpful answers so I thought I would talk to the friendly guys on the forum.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Repair permission via Disk Utility and then log out then back in and see what happens. I have noticed sometime after my MBP 13" is plugged in for a while that i get the *orange* light on the magsafe. With a reboot all seems well and light goes to green ...

?? worth a try anyways

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

It sounds like there is still some obstruction in either the receptacle or in the "teeth" of the magsafe connector that is causing a short. Get a magnifying glass and check those two areas carefully.

I've cleared out tiny bits of metal from magsafe receptacles several times that "miraculously" made them start working again.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Using MagicJack w/o dongle | Capturing video output onto my mac »