New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Manual Duplexing w/Mac not an option...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Chud

Chud will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.5Ghz C2D 4GB 500GB Seagate 7200RPM / 15" Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz 2GB 160GB Seagate 5400rpm

Am I alone in being tired of transferring my print jobs to my PC only so that I can manual duplex? There are a few threads on here asking the same question, but no one has ever answered it. I am running 10.6.4 with Office 08 and a Brother MFC-8460N. I have all of the updated drivers and firmware available currently but still no luck.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

That's definitely a function of the driver. I've never tried to do it before, so I took a look at my settings.

On my LaserJet 1300, it's an option, but it's grayed out.

On my Photosmart C6350, it's an option, but again it's grayed out.

Astounded, I switched over to Windows, running in a VM, using the latest drivers. Sure enough I can do it.

So, I did a bit of Googling and here's what I found:

Manual duplex printing with OSX presets

Tell me if that helps at all. (but again, I don't understand why this isn't being built into the OS X drivers -- well, it's there, but it appears to be disabled).

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Another interesting article - this time using Automator:

Manual Duplex printing for Mac (and/or Linux) - Super User

Read down a bit.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Chud

Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.5Ghz C2D 4GB 500GB Seagate 7200RPM / 15" Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz 2GB 160GB Seagate 5400rpm

Thanks a bunch! I am going to check those out. My two-sided option is grayed out as well. It's silly, but I've spent more time trying to hunt down a fix for this than it would've taken to transfer all of my work for the next year to the PC which does this easily.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Yeah, it really is dumbfounding. It's kind of funny considering the history of the Mac, but I really think printing in general is one of the only deficiencies of OS X. If you think this is rough, try using a USB print server for a printer that doesn't have a generic Gutenprint driver. On Windows, it's just a matter of switching ports in the Ports tab of the printer properties. On OS X, you'll have to hunt down a driver that doesn't care about how the printer is physically connected. Sometimes it's just not possible... but I digress.

With each major revision, I keep hoping Apple will put some real effort into the printing subsystems, but I'm still waiting.

QUOTE Thanks
Chud

I know, it's really is kind of amazing that Mac doesn't put more thought into their print capabilities. I have two Mac laptops running in my house (one MBP 10.6.4, and a G4 Powerbook on 10.4) wirelessly with the PC desktop (old dinosaur but still works fine) the only unit on a wired connection to the router. A lot of times I cannot print at all from my MBP if I am in my living room, but have to actually move into my office to get the printer to come to life. The older Powerbook can print from the kitchen with no problems every time. All the while both have a full complement of bars on the Airport card. Go figure.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« M9177LL/A Replacement USB Ports | Best DVD Burner for my Mac ? »