New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

flash drive help!!! mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

raven sanchez

raven sanchez is on a distinguished road

i have a 2GHz intel core duo 1gb 677MHz DDR2 aSDRAM imac running snow loepard and i have a probleme

my flash rive has the capacity of 2.02 gb and 147 kb are avalible but nothing is on it here is a screen shot plz help me there is nothing on the flash drive and it says that there is used up memorey. any help here? i used to able to use this flash drive for movies but not when the mmory is acting like this!

it says i used some memory but i didnt at all
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2010-07-16 at 5.02.59 PM.png (52.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: png Screen shot 2010-07-16 at 5.40.21 PM.png (312.3 KB, 10 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Chef_eam

Chef_eam is a jewel in the roughChef_eam is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S

When you last deleted the contents of the flash drive, did you empty the trash? Deleted files will still take up space if the trash is not emptied. Try mounting the drive and checking to see if the files that used to be on the drive show up in the trash, If they do, empty the trash before ejecting the drive. If they do not show up in the trash, another option would be to try erasing the drive using Disk Utility.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Just reformat it FAT32 with Disk Utility. If formatting fails, then you should probably dump that flash drive and buy another. They're very cheap.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

NOTE: Thread moved to appropriate forum. Not just anything goes in Anything Goes

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Loui

Loui is on a distinguished road

I need to buy a USB memory stick that I can use between a Mac and a PC. I have had some in the past but they corrupted quite quickly, presumably because they were switching between the two. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Any USB flash drive will work. Since most, if not all flash drives are pre-formatted at the factory as FAT-32, you should not attempt to reformat them. And if you do, don't do it with your Mac. Use a PC.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

'You gets what you pays for', but one brand I would recommend is SanDisk.

May I ask chscag ... why use a WinPC to format a flash drive FAT32? I've always used Mac Disk Utility to reformat a flash drive with satisfactory results, cross-platform.

Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
May I ask chscag ... why use a WinPC to format a flash drive FAT32? I've always used Mac Disk Utility to reformat a flash drive with satisfactory results, cross-platform.
Because most folks do not know that when reformatting a flash drive as FAT-32 using Disk Utility, that they must format as MBR and not GUID. Unfortunately GUID is the default. And what that does is create a small EFI 200 MB partition on the flash drive. That means the drive now has two partitions. That's not a problem when using the drive on your Mac, but Windows will only "see" the first partition. (200 MB)

Try it with an old flash drive that you have laying around to see what happens.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
Eh, almost all flash memory is made by 2 companies regardless of what "brand name" is slapped on it.

IMHO, just buy the cheapest flash drive you can find for the money.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

When people say they've had flash drives get corrupted, I usually ask them to show me how they eject the drive from the computer (either Mac or PC). That usually explains what's really happening fairly quickly (ie, they do not properly dismount the drive before removing it).
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
When people say they've had flash drives get corrupted, I usually ask them to show me how they eject the drive from the computer (either Mac or PC). That usually explains what's really happening fairly quickly (ie, they do not properly dismount the drive before removing it).
Almost every friend I have does that and says to me, well it did not corrupt! I ask them, then why does both Windows and OSX yell and warn you to unmount first? Just to be yelling?

I tell them you might get lucky and have no issues but someday you will yank that flash drive and loose everything. I have seen it happen all to many times.

You sir are very correct.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Almost every friend I have does that and says to me, well it did not corrupt! I ask them, then why does both Windows and OSX yell and warn you to unmount first? Just to be yelling?
Exactly. Roll the dice enough times...and eventually you get "burned"!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
Agreed. I've always had good luck with SanDisk drives (I actually bent one, bent it back to its original shape and it still works like a charm). Just as I only buy WD HDs, if a brand works for me, I'll use it until it doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Absolutely. OS X and Windows have anger issues .

There's a reason OS X, Windows and Linux require you to unmount drives. It's not there for no reason.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Agreed. I've always had good luck with SanDisk drives
Two things I like about SanDisk - other than its quality/reliability - are:
1. the silicon exterior - good for finger grip, and
2. its compactness, good for when the drives are fitted side-by-side in a USB hub.

Beside me as I type are five flash drives, including Anonymous, Legend, MyFlash, Rundisk, and SanDisk. The best is left 'til last.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Agreed. I've always had good luck with SanDisk drives (I actually bent one, bent it back to its original shape and it still works like a charm). Just as I only buy WD HDs, if a brand works for me, I'll use it until it doesn't.

Absolutely. OS X and Windows have anger issues .

There's a reason OS X, Windows and Linux require you to unmount drives. It's not there for no reason.
I have never yanked a Flash Drive from a Linux system, so thanks for confirming it warns you also!

Hughvane, I love Sandisk Flash drives also. My ONLY complaint is that when plugging one into one of the front mounted Slanted USB ports on a Dell Optiplex, sometimes the white lock button comes loose and the USB plug retracts! Otherwise I have never had one issue with a Sanndisk drive. I have had some Kingston's that would not work on some PC's but worked fine on others no matter how you formatted them. Never one issue with Sandisk.

Chscag, thanks for that about making sure Disk Utility is set at MBR and not GUID. That makes total sense and probably why some are complaining about drives formatted on OSX.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« DVD burning not working properly... | SuperDrive refuses to burn data CDs and data DVDs! »