Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation flash drive help!!! mac
    i have a 2GHz intel core duo 1gb 677MHz DDR2 aSDRAM imac running snow loepard and i have a probleme

my flash rive has the capacity of 2.02 gb and 147 kb are avalible but nothing is on it here is a screen shot plz help me there is nothing on the flash drive and it says that there is used up memorey. any help here? i used to able to use this flash drive for movies but not when the mmory is acting like this!

it says i used some memory but i didnt at all
    Attached Images Attached Images

Specs:
    iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
    When you last deleted the contents of the flash drive, did you empty the trash? Deleted files will still take up space if the trash is not emptied. Try mounting the drive and checking to see if the files that used to be on the drive show up in the trash, If they do, empty the trash before ejecting the drive. If they do not show up in the trash, another option would be to try erasing the drive using Disk Utility.

Specs:
    MacMini 2.4, 8 Gb, OS 10.10 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.6.8
    Just reformat it FAT32 with Disk Utility. If formatting fails, then you should probably dump that flash drive and buy another. They're very cheap.
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    NOTE: Thread moved to appropriate forum. Not just anything goes in Anything Goes
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Recommended USB stick?
    I need to buy a USB memory stick that I can use between a Mac and a PC. I have had some in the past but they corrupted quite quickly, presumably because they were switching between the two. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Any USB flash drive will work. Since most, if not all flash drives are pre-formatted at the factory as FAT-32, you should not attempt to reformat them. And if you do, don't do it with your Mac. Use a PC.

Regards.

Specs:
    'You gets what you pays for', but one brand I would recommend is SanDisk.

May I ask chscag ... why use a WinPC to format a flash drive FAT32? I've always used Mac Disk Utility to reformat a flash drive with satisfactory results, cross-platform.
    Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    May I ask chscag ... why use a WinPC to format a flash drive FAT32? I've always used Mac Disk Utility to reformat a flash drive with satisfactory results, cross-platform.
    Because most folks do not know that when reformatting a flash drive as FAT-32 using Disk Utility, that they must format as MBR and not GUID. Unfortunately GUID is the default. And what that does is create a small EFI 200 MB partition on the flash drive. That means the drive now has two partitions. That's not a problem when using the drive on your Mac, but Windows will only "see" the first partition. (200 MB)

Try it with an old flash drive that you have laying around to see what happens.

Regards.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    Quote Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
    Eh, almost all flash memory is made by 2 companies regardless of what "brand name" is slapped on it.

IMHO, just buy the cheapest flash drive you can find for the money.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    When people say they've had flash drives get corrupted, I usually ask them to show me how they eject the drive from the computer (either Mac or PC). That usually explains what's really happening fairly quickly (ie, they do not properly dismount the drive before removing it).

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPhone 3GS Note 8!
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    When people say they've had flash drives get corrupted, I usually ask them to show me how they eject the drive from the computer (either Mac or PC). That usually explains what's really happening fairly quickly (ie, they do not properly dismount the drive before removing it).
    Almost every friend I have does that and says to me, well it did not corrupt! I ask them, then why does both Windows and OSX yell and warn you to unmount first? Just to be yelling?

I tell them you might get lucky and have no issues but someday you will yank that flash drive and loose everything. I have seen it happen all to many times.

You sir are very correct.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    Almost every friend I have does that and says to me, well it did not corrupt! I ask them, then why does both Windows and OSX yell and warn you to unmount first? Just to be yelling?
    Exactly. Roll the dice enough times...and eventually you get "burned"!

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
    Agreed. I've always had good luck with SanDisk drives (I actually bent one, bent it back to its original shape and it still works like a charm). Just as I only buy WD HDs, if a brand works for me, I'll use it until it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    Absolutely. OS X and Windows have anger issues .

There's a reason OS X, Windows and Linux require you to unmount drives. It's not there for no reason.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    Agreed. I've always had good luck with SanDisk drives
    Two things I like about SanDisk - other than its quality/reliability - are:
    1. the silicon exterior - good for finger grip, and
    2. its compactness, good for when the drives are fitted side-by-side in a USB hub.

Beside me as I type are five flash drives, including Anonymous, Legend, MyFlash, Rundisk, and SanDisk. The best is left 'til last.

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPhone 3GS Note 8!
    Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    Agreed. I've always had good luck with SanDisk drives (I actually bent one, bent it back to its original shape and it still works like a charm). Just as I only buy WD HDs, if a brand works for me, I'll use it until it doesn't.

Absolutely. OS X and Windows have anger issues .

There's a reason OS X, Windows and Linux require you to unmount drives. It's not there for no reason.
    I have never yanked a Flash Drive from a Linux system, so thanks for confirming it warns you also!

Hughvane, I love Sandisk Flash drives also. My ONLY complaint is that when plugging one into one of the front mounted Slanted USB ports on a Dell Optiplex, sometimes the white lock button comes loose and the USB plug retracts! Otherwise I have never had one issue with a Sanndisk drive. I have had some Kingston's that would not work on some PC's but worked fine on others no matter how you formatted them. Never one issue with Sandisk.

Chscag, thanks for that about making sure Disk Utility is set at MBR and not GUID. That makes total sense and probably why some are complaining about drives formatted on OSX.

Thread Information