New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Problems with Epson 836XL Scanner and My PowerMac G4 Gigabit Ethernet...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dae

dae is on a distinguished road

Here it is.
My friend and I started a printing business last year, we recently picked up the Epson Expression 836XL after doing some research. I have a PowerMac G4 Gigabit Ethernet, and from my research I read about other MAC users being able to get the scanner to work with MAC OS X Tiger and Vuescan. So I checked out what type of parts I was going to need to get this scanner up and running. So we picked up the Adaptec AHA-2930CU PCI card with a external 50-pin high density connector. The other two parts we bought were the SCSI-1 cable and the SCSI-1 to SCSI-2 adapter. I'm running Vuescan 8.5(not the lastest version but it still should work with the scanner we have).
I also install the drivers for the Adaptec PCI card with no luck. Every time I run Vuescan it pops up a tip message letting me know that there is no scanner attached to this computer.

If anyone has dealt with this same issue or knows how to get the scanner up and running, it would be a great help.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Have you visited here? Epson Expression 836XL, Overview - Technical Support - Epson America, Inc. I think your best support will come from Epson itself.

I notice that drivers for that particular model of Epson are for OS 9 and earlier, and that the product is discontinued. How old is the Epson scanner, and which MacOS are you using?

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
dae

I have checked out Epson and know they only made drivers to work up till OS 9 for this scanner. The Epson 836XL is over 10 years old, but I have also read its one of their better scanners out there and if you can get them running on your system you shouldn't pass them up.
I'm running MAC OS X 10.4 Tiger on my PowerMAC G4 Gigabit Ethernet tower It has a 1.8 single processor and 2GB of SDRAM. I have read quite a few places that other mac users running the same OS have had success getting this scanner up and running with Vuescan.

After I wrote this last night I realized I still can run a Classic environment in Tiger. It was late so I decided not to jump into last night. I'm going to try and run the drivers in classic and see if that works after work today.

Ideally I would like to have it running in OS X Tiger with Vuescan. The way I have it hooked is with an Adaptec AHA 2930 PCI card a SCSI 1 to SCSI 2 adapter and a SCSI cable.

I will put any updates (successful or not) after I have tired the classic enviroment and let you know how it goes.
QUOTE Thanks
dae

No luck with installing OS 9 on my G4 PowerMAC running OS 10.4.11.
I'm thinking about installing Panther 10.3 and seeing if I can get classic to run from that.

If anyone has had luck with running Classic under 10.4.11 let me know. I keep getting a message about not having the latest version of Quicktime and then I go too update and it just pops up with another window saying error and my only option is to quit.

Like I said before I will keep my progress up to date.

MacBook (Black) 2007 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz, 3GB RAM | PowerMac G5 2005 Dual Core 2.3GHz 3GB RAM | PowerMac G4 2000 Singel Core 1.8GHz 2GB RAM
QUOTE Thanks
dae

Here is a screen capture of system profiler. Highlighted is the Adaptec PCI card I installed. I know the PowerMAC recognizes it but I can't get a connection to the scanner. I have even installed the drivers for this PCI card and with no luck.

MacBook (Black) 2007 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz, 3GB RAM | PowerMac G5 2005 Dual Core 2.3GHz 3GB RAM | PowerMac G4 2000 Singel Core 1.8GHz 2GB RAM
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice

If the scanner is reputed to run under Classic, have you considered putting an OS 9 dedicated hard drive in your G4? It can be done quite cheaply.
You'll note in my profile the mention of a b/w G3 350. What is doesn't show is that the G3 has two drives, one with Panther, the other with OS 9.2.2. I can boot the G3 into Classic from a 40 Gb drive in order to run pre-OS X software and older SCSI hardware (OS 9 doesn't much like USB). Quirky, maybe, but it works.

I'm almost certain you've thought about upgrading the scanner. Should it boil down to that, consider the Epson V500 if you're scanning photos, or the GT1500 for documents only.

Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
dae

It's funny cause we just bought this scanner(one, its still a solid scanner and worka great if not better then some new models, two, It was within our budget and we need the size which is 12.2 by 17.7 our company scans large illustrations and paintings) I had a feeling this would be something hard to get running.
I'm currently in the process of taking a 20GB drive that is still housed in my PowerMAC G4 and installing OS 9 on it.

I know I will get it up and running soon. Hoping that someone has dealt with this same problem on this message board.

I will def update how it goes. Once I get it I will post it.

QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

Developments? Ancient history: looking for a driver for a SCSI magneto-optical drive

QUOTE Thanks
dae

I have made some progress too why it hasn't connected yet. I will post in detail tonight.
That link is good insight by the way, I have already told my business partner that there is a possibility that it's the cable as well.

QUOTE Thanks
dae

Ok so I have a new problem.
Since this scanner has OS 9 drivers I figured I can just run classic. Well a couple years ago I deleted everything in the classic folder. So in turn classic will not boot up. I currently have a OS 9 boot disc and when I try to install OS 9 on my machine on to another HD I have currently installed in my tower it starts up classic then tells me I need 9.1 to install OS 9.
I have tired to boot from disc on start up and that has left me with a bigger problem I had to deal with. When I would try and boot from disc it wouldn't boot and would just go too grey screen. Then when I would try to boot back in too OS X holding option after a restart it would only bring up the OS 9 disc and there was no way I could boot back into OS X. This problem set me back quit a few hours. Long story short aftering backing up my system and reinstalling it with superduper it booted back into OS X.

If anyone could tell me how to get OS 9 installed or how to get classic running after I deleted the files in that folder it would be a big help towards getting this scanner running.

QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

Post a screenshot of the OS 9 disk you're trying to use to install Classic. It should be a disk with a white upper face and a gold-colored 9 on it.

It seems you have a dedicated OS 9 drive. If it's already formatted, http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=50447 it should show up in either Startup Disk (OS X Sys Prefs) or Control Panels (OS 9).

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Capturing video output onto my mac | External hard drive trouble »