Upgrading RAM on 2.66 ghz imac
    Hi, I have a late 2008 imac 2.66 ghz with 2gb of RAM and an ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro with 256mb. I mostly do photoshop and games on this computer and im noticing choppy gameplay when I game on it and since most games out now are wanting a 4gb minimum of RAM.

I am considering adding another 1gb of RAM to have 3gb of RAM on my computer. My question is, Is it perfectly normal to buy the RAM not from apple store but from Bestbuy or other tech stores? Does it void my warranty if I do? Since I have 2 slots both with 1gb of RAM, will it be ok to remove 1 slot and put the 2gb memory module in the slot with no problems?

Help and advice appreciated.

Fort Worth, Texas
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    You can buy memory from any reliable seller as long as it's the correct memory that your iMac takes. Most folks here would recommend buying memory from either Crucial or OWC. (Both are on line.)

You do not void your warranty when replacing memory yourself. Of course if you damage anything during the course of replacing the memory, then the repairs are paid by you.

As far as just replacing one module with 2 GB to total 3 GB, it's best to remove both 1 GB modules and replace each with a 2 GB module giving you 4 GB. Make sure you buy identical modules - sometimes they're sold in matched pairs.

Thread Information