New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Mac Pro to LCD TV question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sobchek

sobchek is on a distinguished road

Hello All,

I recently purchased a 8-core Mac Pro. I didn't purchase the Cinema HD Display along with it, because of the price tag...$1800! So I am considering purchasing a LCD TV to be used as my primary monitor. From what I understand DVI/HDMI v. Component connection both have their pros and cons, and the real difference comes down to the devices your connecting and not the connection itself.

So the question is...does anyone have a recommendation for what LCD TV will work best with my ATI Radeon HD 4870 DVI output? Or does anyone have any other recommendation for how to save a few dollars and have my 1920x1080 too?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Why not just buy a different brand of LCD monitor that's cheaper?

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
sobchek

Im looking for my cheapest alternative. From what I found, I can pick up a 37" LCD TV for between $600-800, when comparable LCD Monitors range from $1200-2000. It just seems to me to be the cheaper alternative, so long as there aren't any technical issues like refresh rate or color issues.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Personally, I would recommend a monitor unless you just require a new screen being able to perform the multiple duty of being your TV. Practically every monitor from about 22" or 24" and up is going to have 1920x1080 (16:9), 1920x1200 (16:10) or better resolution and will have a DVI port.

It's not a matter of working with 'your' ATI Radeon HD 4870 DVI. It's a matter of connecting any computer to a TV, particularly a non-Windows machine.

With an HDTV, the best suggestion I can make, is to look for 2-3 different brands in the screen size and price range you want. Then head to the manufacturers web site, download the owners manual and read through the connections section, paying attention to their particular info related to connecting a DVI device via HDMI. Any mention about it possibly not working with a computer, then you throw that one out of the mix. If you can find a TV in your price range where the manual mentions being able to turn off overscan, you will be a step ahead of the game.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

"bobtomay" practically took all of the words out of my mouth!

Like Bob said...most 24" LCD display's available today have a 1920 x 1080, or 1920 x 1200 resolution. I saw one for $150 dollars the other day. Sure a 37" monitor will look a lot more impressive due to it's size...but you won't get any additional resolution...everything on the 37" display will just be larger.

A 37" display is going to take up a heck of a lot of room, cost you a heck of a lot more money...and probably use 2-4 times the electricity!

Here's a really quick example of what you can get for $179:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824009179

Keep your eyes "peeled" for some monitors on sale/special...and I'm sure you can do even better on the price.

Get yourself a decent 23"-24" display...and you're good to go!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

BenQ have released an LED monitrr that is cheap and brilliant!
QUOTE Thanks
sobchek

Thanks for the responses everyone.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Notebook keyboard question | Can't mount NTFS drive on mac - invalid BS_jmpBoot in boot block:52398d »