New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Is there a hard drive that works best with Macs?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

texican

texican is on a distinguished road

New iMac user here. I have a WD portable hard drive that I used with my PC. It worked fine for me, but I have read online some problems people have encountered with these. It is only 120GB, so I thought I would just upgrade all together - size and manufacturer. Is there one that the Mac-heads prefer?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

IMHO...I think all hard drives work pretty well these days...with no brand standing out as a real "stinker"!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

You're seeking opinions - of which there are plenty! Most are based on personal experience, which is rather limiting. Read the independent reviews of whatever brand you think you might want. 'Popular' brands include Hitachi, Seagate and Western Digital (in purely alphabetical order).

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
You're seeking opinions - of which there are plenty! Most are based on personal experience, which is rather limiting.
Yeah...these sorts of questions usually are not very helpful for the OP. Like you said...many folks have their favorites...and at the end of the day...the thread ends up with something positive (and possibly negative) about all brands...thus not really helping with the decision process.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

To add to what's been already said, there really isn't a best hard drive for Mac. If a hard drive is built well then it should work. The difference is that it's best to format the hard drive for whichever OS you are planning on using them on. If you are willing to use FAT then you can use the hard drive for both.

The one thing that can be considered more Mac specific is that some hard drives come with Firewire which is more common on Macs than Windows. Firewire 800 is faster than USB 2 so if speed is important to you then it's something you might want to consider when buying a new one.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
To add to what's been already said, there really isn't a best hard drive for Mac. If a hard drive is built well then it should work.
Well said!!!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
Firewire 800 is faster than USB 2 so if speed is important to you then it's something you might want to consider when buying a new one.
AFAIK, they are also considerably more expensive.

To the OP, I've had very good luck with WD (all my HDs are WD drives except for one and I swear by them simply because of my personal experiences) but they are by far not the only good brand. As has been noted here, I'm sure people will swear by Seagate and other brands as well. My advice would be to get one with a good warranty and back up often. If you have those two, you shouldn't be worried.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I am a fan of Western Digital. Only warning is the new Green series Internal drives seem awfully cheap. Did a search on New Egg and many people are having failures with the WD Green drives. In person they feel light compared to the other drives both by WD and Seagate.

I agree with what has been said, any good drive will be fine. I usually check reviews on New Egg of late before I buy.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by texican View Post
I have a WD portable hard drive that I used with my PC. It worked fine for me, but I have read online some problems people have encountered with these.
And if you read reviews of any of the other Manufactures, you would probably (i would say definitely) read similar reviews ........ Its "Murphy's Law" with "The Law of Averages" that says certain amount of things will fail, if a certain number is made.

Its been said above but any *good* brand will do you fine. I use WD because i have never had a failure, but the biggest thing for me when i 1st bought one, was the fact WD was a plug and play type.
Meaning i didnt have to do any partitioning or formatting. Plugged it in, started SuperDuper and backed up and all done in 18 minutes.....

On backing up are you using ONLY Time Machine ??? If so I and all posters above would recommend using SuperDuper ^^^ Link or CCC~CarbonCopyCloner. These both do a bootable copy of your HD as where TM doesnt ..... Just FYI is all and a little more help into your new Mac

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

And honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if there are only 1 or 2 manufacturers making all these drives anyway for all the various companies.

Seems to be the norm these days with electronics.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
texican

texican is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the responses.

TattooedMac - Yes, I was planning on just using TM. (I have not used it yet.) I guess I need to look into the others you mention.

Thanks again
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
And honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if there are only 1 or 2 manufacturers making all these drives anyway for all the various companies.
How true is that!? What's in a name? Quantum became Maxtor became Seagate; IBM became Hitachi.

Here y'go, read away: Comparisons of Hard Disk Drive Manufacturers and Brands of USB, Portable and External Drives for Computer Storage and Backup and What's the Best Brand of Hard Disk Drive?. Note the dates of those pages.

In a Google search of 'Hard Drive Brands', I was dismayed to note how old some of the pages were, eg. 2002, 2005. There have been huge improvements in hard drives since then.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
frankmezz

frankmezz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21 inch

I have a 2TB WD with built in RAID that i use for TM. (2 1TB drives in one box) so when one drive does fail, the other is there for me. I thought about Carbonite but they do not back up external drives.

Here are a bunch of them, that came up on on a google search.

My Book Mirror Edition WDH2U20000 Hard drive array - 2-bay
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

My $0.02 - stay away from Samsung and Toshiba. Other than that, in recent experience, I recommend WD, Hitachi and Seagate.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
My $0.02 - stay away from Samsung and Toshiba.
I agree with Toshiba. I've had two good friends succumb to the terrible computer quality of Toshiba notebooks. Both had their HDs die on them. I don't know if they had Toshiba drives but I wouldn't trust a Toshiba computer product unless it was my last option.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook/Firewire/ExternalDrive Question | Upgrading RAM on 2.66 ghz imac »