New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

D-Link DIR-655 Router Special

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

I know a good number of our frequent Mac-Forums posters & moderators recommend the D-Link DIR-655 router when we get a:

"What is the best Router?"...sort of thread.

Here's a special on the D-Link DIR-655 for $65 + free shipping:

Newegg.com - D-Link DIR-655 IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE802.11n Draft 2 Xtreme N Gigabit Wireless Router

Use coupon code "EMCYVYT26" to get the extra special price.

Just an FYI in case anyone was looking for a new router!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I ordered one as soon as I got the email last night. It was too good of a deal to pass up, especially considering the last one I bought cost almost twice as much.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
I ordered one as soon as I got the email last night. It was too good of a deal to pass up, especially considering the last one I bought cost almost twice as much.
I knew you were one of the BIG recommenders of the DIR-655...how come you're getting a 2nd one?...another location?

Yes I saw that the original price back in 2006 was around $180.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Bargain!

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Excellent deal on a great router. I would get a 2nd one just to have in case some lightning strike killed the main one!

I might just order it.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Excellent deal on a great router. I would get a 2nd one just to have in case some lightning strike killed the main one!

I might just order it.
That's what I'm thinking. Believe I paid about $150 for it not long after it came out.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Update: It appears that the promo code listed above has expired. So the price is now $87.73 rather than $65 (but still has free shipping).

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I knew you were one of the BIG recommenders of the DIR-655...how come you're getting a 2nd one?...another location?

Yes I saw that the original price back in 2006 was around $180.

- Nick
Yea, my family recently managed to destroy theirs somehow (probably happened while the house was being renovated, because it looked like something heavy fell on it) so I gave them mine and I switched back to my WRT54GL since I didn't need a lot of range in my last apartment. However, I just moved into a bigger place and now I have more wireless devices that I like to stream video to, so I need an N router again and so this deal couldn't have come at a better time

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

I got lazy yesterday (while trying to convince the wife) to purchase one. Decided I was going to order it this morning...and the promotion code was expired! Not all of our computers are "N" compatible...so that thru some doubt into the purchase decision.

The DIR-655 is around $83 on Amazon & $87 at Newegg...so I'll just wait for another good deal to surface.

I know that many folks will upgrade to a DIR-655 for it's "n" wireless abilities...but does anyone know if the "g" wireless abilities of the DIR-655 is any better than older "b/g" routers? If the DIR-655 has better wireless "g" performance (than my current b/g Netgear router)...that would make the purchase decision much easier....for our mixed "g/n" household.

Thanks,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Kash

When I was living at home we had a few G devices. Overall, G performance may not have been that much of an improvement over our G router. However, the increased range certainly improved the connection quality at the further reaches of the house, so our G devices located in those areas performed better.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
When I was living at home we had a few G devices. Overall, G performance may not have been that much of an improvement over our G router. However, the increased range certainly improved the connection quality at the further reaches of the house, so our G devices located in those areas performed better.
Are you saying that maximum "g" throughput performance (maximum megabits/sec) didn't increase...but that "g" range improved with the DIR-655 (versus your families older "g" router)?

If so, that would seem to be an improvement. Of course I guess this would also depend on someone's existing "g" router performance.

Thanks,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Kash

I can't say conclusively about performance since I never conducted any tests. However, I can say without a doubt that range for the G devices improved. The beauty of N routers if that you don't need N devices to take advantage of the range; B and G devices can enjoy the range but just at slower speeds than N.

Oh btw, I ordered this thing yesterday and it's already out for shipping. Now this is why I love Newegg

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« firewire problem | Logitech Cordless Desktop S520 work on mac? »