Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    D-Link DIR-655 Router Special
    I know a good number of our frequent Mac-Forums posters & moderators recommend the D-Link DIR-655 router when we get a:

"What is the best Router?"...sort of thread.

Here's a special on the D-Link DIR-655 for $65 + free shipping:

Newegg.com - D-Link DIR-655 IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE802.11n Draft 2 Xtreme N Gigabit Wireless Router

Use coupon code "EMCYVYT26" to get the extra special price.

Just an FYI in case anyone was looking for a new router!

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
    I ordered one as soon as I got the email last night. It was too good of a deal to pass up, especially considering the last one I bought cost almost twice as much.

June 2007
    July 2009

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    I ordered one as soon as I got the email last night. It was too good of a deal to pass up, especially considering the last one I bought cost almost twice as much.
    I knew you were one of the BIG recommenders of the DIR-655...how come you're getting a 2nd one?...another location?

Yes I saw that the original price back in 2006 was around $180.

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Specs:
    20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
    Bargain!
    Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Excellent deal on a great router. I would get a 2nd one just to have in case some lightning strike killed the main one!

I might just order it.

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    Excellent deal on a great router. I would get a 2nd one just to have in case some lightning strike killed the main one!

I might just order it.
    That's what I'm thinking. Believe I paid about $150 for it not long after it came out.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    Update: It appears that the promo code listed above has expired. So the price is now $87.73 rather than $65 (but still has free shipping).

- Nick

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    I knew you were one of the BIG recommenders of the DIR-655...how come you're getting a 2nd one?...another location?

Yes I saw that the original price back in 2006 was around $180.

- Nick
    Yea, my family recently managed to destroy theirs somehow (probably happened while the house was being renovated, because it looked like something heavy fell on it) so I gave them mine and I switched back to my WRT54GL since I didn't need a lot of range in my last apartment. However, I just moved into a bigger place and now I have more wireless devices that I like to stream video to, so I need an N router again and so this deal couldn't have come at a better time

June 2007
    July 2009

Specs:
    I got lazy yesterday (while trying to convince the wife) to purchase one. Decided I was going to order it this morning...and the promotion code was expired! Not all of our computers are "N" compatible...so that thru some doubt into the purchase decision.

The DIR-655 is around $83 on Amazon & $87 at Newegg...so I'll just wait for another good deal to surface.

I know that many folks will upgrade to a DIR-655 for it's "n" wireless abilities...but does anyone know if the "g" wireless abilities of the DIR-655 is any better than older "b/g" routers? If the DIR-655 has better wireless "g" performance (than my current b/g Netgear router)...that would make the purchase decision much easier....for our mixed "g/n" household.

Thanks,

- Nick

Specs:
    When I was living at home we had a few G devices. Overall, G performance may not have been that much of an improvement over our G router. However, the increased range certainly improved the connection quality at the further reaches of the house, so our G devices located in those areas performed better.

June 2007
    July 2009

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    When I was living at home we had a few G devices. Overall, G performance may not have been that much of an improvement over our G router. However, the increased range certainly improved the connection quality at the further reaches of the house, so our G devices located in those areas performed better.
    Are you saying that maximum "g" throughput performance (maximum megabits/sec) didn't increase...but that "g" range improved with the DIR-655 (versus your families older "g" router)?

If so, that would seem to be an improvement. Of course I guess this would also depend on someone's existing "g" router performance.

Thanks,

- Nick

Specs:
    I can't say conclusively about performance since I never conducted any tests. However, I can say without a doubt that range for the G devices improved. The beauty of N routers if that you don't need N devices to take advantage of the range; B and G devices can enjoy the range but just at slower speeds than N.

Oh btw, I ordered this thing yesterday and it's already out for shipping. Now this is why I love Newegg

June 2007
    July 2009

Thread Information