New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Time Capsule differences

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

I was looking at the Time Capsules in the Apple outlet and they have current and previous generation models offered. I cannot seem to find any difference between the two, with the exception of the previous model listing only Leopard compatibility and the current lists Leopard and Snow Leopard. Is there anything more I am missing?

Any insight would be appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
TomTomTuning

TomTomTuning is a jewel in the roughTomTomTuning is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone

I got my current generation 2TB Time capsule a couple months ago and was also wondering the samething. So i spoke with a couple apple techs and found out...

The only difference is better signal strength. They added another antenna and i believe something with the layout that also improved the signal.

The model SKU is MC344LL/A, that's for the current 2TB Time Capsule.
I found mine on eBay for under 400.00 shipped. I just checked and there weren't any at a decent price. I guess i got lucky.

QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

John - Only the latest models have Dual Antenna and can run a 802.11g and 802.11n networks simultaneously or a Guest Network instead of Dual Networks, but both models are OK on 10.5 and 10.6.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light

Great, thanks for the insight guys. Much appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
TomTomTuning

TomTomTuning is a jewel in the roughTomTomTuning is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin Bl View Post
John - Only the latest models have Dual Antenna and can run a 802.11g and 802.11n networks simultaneously or a Guest Network instead of Dual Networks, but both models are OK on 10.5 and 10.6.
Actually, your incorrect. The "Previous" 3rd generation Time Capsule had simultaneous dual-band wifi, just like the current 4th generation.

The 1st and 2nd generation did not have "simultaneous dual-band".

Refurbished previous generation: Refurbished Time Capsule - 2 TB (previous generation) - Apple Store (U.S.)

Current generation: Time Capsule - 2TB - Apple Store (U.S.)

QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

For the minimal cost difference I will just go with the current generation. I guess I was not aware that there were 4 revisions of this product. If the latest model offers better signal strength that is a winner for me.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac virus? | My iSight cam will somtimes work and sometimes wont work »