Specs:
    21.5" iMac, Snow Leopard, 1TB HD, 8GB, 3.06 GHz
    Magic Mouse Pairing Problem after Battery Change
    I'm a newbie to Mac and just had to change my magic mouse batteries for the first time. Once I did so, the mouse wouldn't pair with the computer. I tried to check the bluetooth settings, but I couldn't (of course) since the mouse was not yet functional. I tried to restart using the power button, and a message informed me that System Preferences was open and preventing restart (I didn't open Sys. Pref.). At this point, the Bluetooth manager window came on (underneath the Sys. Pref. window) and attempted to connect but just kept running without connecting. I had to resort to unplugging the computer--once it restarted after reconnecting to the outlet, the mouse paired as it should and everything seems fine. After the fact, I found out that I can use Command-Option-Esc to force quit (could have probably done so with Sys. Pref). But I'm wondering why this problem might have occurred in the first place and how to avoid it. Thanks for any input.
    docbombay

"Everything should be made as simple as possible--but not simpler." -- Albert Einstein

Specs:
    MBP 17"(2.8 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB mem), 21.5" Imac, 15" MBP (2.4 ghz) all running ML
    Yes the same thing happened to me. What is the best procedure to change the batteries in the mouse and have the computer recognize it automatically?

Specs:
    21.5" iMac, Snow Leopard, 1TB HD, 8GB, 3.06 GHz
    I would suppose you could shut down the computer prior to changing the batteries, but I don't see why that should be necessary--there must be a way to avoid a freeze. Hoping someone has an answer.
    docbombay

"Everything should be made as simple as possible--but not simpler." -- Albert Einstein

This has been a constant source of frustration... the indignity of plugging in a Microsoft mouse to enable the Apple one...

I found the answer staring at me in the manual...:

"You may have to click your Apple Magic Mouse once to reconnect it with your Mac."

Doh!

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 5K, 512GB flash memory, 3.3GHz, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra beta.
    Do as our staff member says. Turn off, change batteries, turn on mouse, boot. The boot process activates Bluetooth and it will find your Magic Mouse.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

I've had a magic mouse for a long time. After you change the batteries, just click the mouse & it will re-pair.
    Mac Book Pro 15", Mid 2010 / OS 10.10.1

Specs:
    iMac 21.5", Yos, 3.33GHZ Intel, 8GB Ram, 1T HD, / MBP 15.4 Retina, Yos, 2.5GHZ, 16GB Ram, 256GB SSD
    I just turn my Magic Mouse off when I see the battery level getting below 20%, change batteries, switch it back on and click the mouse to re-pair. Works every time for me.
Thread Information