New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Network printer recognised but won't print

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ThreeIsles

ThreeIsles is on a distinguished road

Hi There,

I've just moved house, reconnected my laser printer to my time capsule via a network cable, and tried to print from my mac book pro.

Both my computer and my wife's MBP can see the printer (i.e. we can remove it and add discover it again, and add it - when we unplug the cable the printer disappears from the list of available printers) but when we print, it just won't print and we get error messages saying something like can't connect to the printer, will try again in 30 seconds.

I thought it might be the connection with the timecapsule, so tried connecting directly via ethernet cable to the macs, but no success, same issues.

Any idea what it could be?

I've tried two ethernet cables, and both machines are running snow leopard.

could the ethernet port have been damaged so the printer can be seen, but not printed to?

Many thanks,

ThreeIsles
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Try putting a Hub between the Mac and the Printer. This will give the printer a network address. I understand in Snow L that it will switch a standard ethernet cable to a cross over one so you dont need a hub...but maybe the printer want work in that config.
QUOTE Thanks
ThreeIsles

ThreeIsles is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Mac SK

I tried putting the time capsule between the ( this set up worked 100% fine before the move).

Last night I tired connecting the printer to the computer via usb cable - that worked. So my thought is that the ethernet port might have been damaged somehow. Oh dear.

ThreeIsles
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeIsles View Post
Thanks, Mac SK

I tried putting the time capsule between the ( this set up worked 100% fine before the move).

Last night I tired connecting the printer to the computer via usb cable - that worked. So my thought is that the ethernet port might have been damaged somehow. Oh dear.

ThreeIsles
Will the printer print a config. page with its IP address. You may have to input the address manually in the network set up. When you moved it it may have reverted to default. I have a Samsung CLP300n that will not print throw ethernet..the computer sees the printer but then says it cant find printer..works great on USB..so I just use the USB. I guess you could use a USB to ethernet adapter.
QUOTE Thanks
zacharace

zacharace is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc

Alternatively, could you simply hook the printer to your desktop (which is what I assume you have) and then share it from that computer? I've used that setup numerous times and it (almost) always works.

But then again, if you both have laptops...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Western Digital MyBook unable to use for Time Machine | Problem printing to Epson 3800 »