New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Scanner Noise at Start Up

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

schwine1

schwine1 is on a distinguished road

Re: Canon CanoScan 4400F on Mac 10.6.3 (Snow Leopard)

Is there a way to eliminate the "scanner noise" that occurs when the computer starts up? The scanner is not among the devices that startup when the computer starts up. At least, the scanner is not listed in the Accounts - Login Items section.

Thanks for any tips.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

The noise you hear is probably the 'communication' between Mac and Canon. Is the Canon left switched on (standby) all the time? If so, simply turn it off before you turn your Mac off.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
leahevans

leahevans is on a distinguished road

Just a simple advice. You dont want noise in start up right. Just turn off your speaker or headphone or even drag down the volume..
Simple.
QUOTE Thanks
schwine1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
The noise you hear is probably the 'communication' between Mac and Canon. Is the Canon left switched on (standby) all the time? If so, simply turn it off before you turn your Mac off.
Yes, I think this is correct. This noise is a communication between the scanner and the computer. But there is no on-off switch on the scanner itself. The only hard buttons on the scanner is a row of buttons for pdf, copy, photo and email. But no on-off button or switch for whatever reason.

Also, this communication noise comes from the scanner itself, and not through the speakers.

Maybe the scanner automatically turns on and off as the computer turns on and off. That's my best guess, but again, the scanner isn't listed as a start up device in the accounts window.

Since this noise is supposed to happen, there may be no way of "turning it off."
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwine1 View Post
This noise is a communication between the scanner and the computer. But there is no on-off switch ... Since this noise is supposed to happen, there may be no way of "turning it off."
'Round the back' as we'd say here. Is there a rocker switch near the power-in plug, maybe along the side of the scanner? It'd be highly unusual for an external device such as a scanner not to have a power switch.

But, supposing it hasn't, then you'll need to become skilled at pulling the power plug from the scanner. Not difficult, just annoying.

The other option is to use a switch-enabled power board, something I'd recommend to anyone using a variety of external devices.

Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

My Epson scanner has no Power Switch either. I have it plugged into a surge protector with 6 switched outlets and simply turn it off unless I need to scan something.
QUOTE Thanks
schwine1

I talked to technical support at Canon and they said there is no power switch for their scanners. This scanner automatically turns on and off as the computer turns on and off. But it sounds like some scanners do have an external power switch, which I think is preferable.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

In which case, put the Canon power plug into a switched power board, you won't regret it. Pulling the power plug from the unit is effective - but a bit primitive.

Interesting that dtravis' Epson also has no power switch. I guess the thinking is that so many computers are left on all day/all night in so many situations, that a power switch is superfluous. I'm so used to powering devices off overnight, or during lengthy absences, that a power switch is essential.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wide screen monitor | Time Capsule and USB External Hardrive »