New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Dual Cinema Displays. Turn both off at once?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Brent Pierce

Brent Pierce is on a distinguished road

I have 2 Apple Cinema Displays. They are side-by-side so it is very inconvenient to turn the left display OFF. I have to move it over to get my finger to touch the power button, which is located on the right side of the monitors, then move it back to where it was originally. I want to turn both OFF/ON at the same time.

I am just wondering, is there a way that I can link the 2 together to turn OFF/ON just by touching the power button on the right-hand-side monitor? Maybe a software that allows me to connect them via usb so they communicate? I have no clue.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Why power them down at all? The energy saver mode on most computer monitors has most of them using an almost incosequential amount of energy vs powering down. Hardly worth the effort.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Or you could buy a switched 4 outlet power board and control them there.
QUOTE Thanks
Brent Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Why power them down at all? The energy saver mode on most computer monitors has most of them using an almost incosequential amount of energy vs powering down. Hardly worth the effort.
My office has frequently visited people, and I tend to leave the office momentarily throughout the day. I wouldn't want anyone snooping around on my comp because they see something interesting. I just want the option of turning both off whenever the need arises.
QUOTE Thanks
scathe

scathe is a jewel in the roughscathe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2,4Ghz 15" unibody

you can lock your screen either with a screen saver or leaving it blank - I think it's possible to configure to require a password after a screensaver - look into security settings

quick google:
http://kb.iu.edu/data/ajqx.html
https://wiki.csuchico.edu/confluence...er+in+Mac+OS+X

some settings might look a bit different depending on OS version
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

A blank password protected screensaver would be a lot easier and set up a hot corner to activate it when you walk away. That way you don't need to set it up to come on at any specific time interval.

Otherwise, a power strip is probably going to be the next easiest way - but just another ugly thing cluttering up the desk.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Pierce View Post
My office has frequently visited people, and I tend to leave the office momentarily throughout the day. I wouldn't want anyone snooping around on my comp because they see something interesting. I just want the option of turning both off whenever the need arises.
There's a "put displays to sleep" Hot corner you can configure. Then just drag your mouse to a corner and you're done.
QUOTE Thanks
Brent Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
There's a "put displays to sleep" Hot corner you can configure. Then just drag your mouse to a corner and you're done.
Nice, this seems the best option. And then the login window appears once the mouse is moved and the screens are back on. PERFECT!!!

Thanks guys!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Magic Mouse not working well? | Mac Display Problems »