New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Stuck Disc Won't Eject

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

writerron

writerron is on a distinguished road

I'm on an iMac G5 doing desktop publishing. I inserted a blank disc into the disc drive. The icon did not appear on the desktop and the disc will not eject, even after a restart. Suggestions?

writerron
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Hold down the mouse key as you restart your machine. If that doesn't work or if you don't want to restart, try the following.

1. Open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities)
2. Type the following and press enter:
Code:
drutil tray eject

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
saguakid

saguakid is on a distinguished road

My problem is worst,I have 2 disc,trying to get 1 out my drive ate a second dvd and now wont stop trying to eject it,is annoying and I tried all methods from credit card to press mouse after reboot and nothing seems to work
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

So, to clarify, you have two drives (Mac Pro?). If so, you can use drutil to specify a drive. So, in Terminal, execute the following:
Code:
drutil list
That will print out a list of optical drives. Record down the number of the one you want to eject. Next, using that number, execute the following but replace X with the number you recorded:
Code:
drutil -drive X tray eject

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
saguakid

I have an iMac not a MBP,and inside theres 2 discs,my imac wont stop trying to eject it but cant do it
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

So, you have two discs in one drive? If so, you need to bring it in for repairs.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
saguakid

Most likely,well in that case I wont,I will buy a new external dvd drive,do you know where can I get external mac dvd drive at good price?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Why not just get it fixed? You noted that the Mac keeps trying to eject the discs and I imagine that if this is the case, nothing good will come of leaving this broken.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
saguakid

I know is broken,wasnt burning before this happened,apple will charge me more than if i buy a cheap one
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook and Blacberry | External Monitor Issues »