New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Mac pro RAM-memory problems in bootcamp

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

maxxenbraxxen

maxxenbraxxen is on a distinguished road

Hello there. I have a 8 core mac pro (Late 2008 model i think) with 2 gig ram in it when i bought it and 2 gig that came with it, but werent allready installed. First i installed windows xp 32 bit and i used it for some months, but then i remembered that i had 2 more gigs of ram lying around, so i installed them but the windows xp still only shows 1.99 gigs, even thou the mac partition says 4 gigs. I reinstalled xp, but it still shows 1.99 gigs. Now i am gonna upgrade to windows 7 64 bit, and therefore i need the 2 extra gigs. Will the 2 gigs show up at the windows 7 ?
Thank you for your help
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Windows XP 32 bit can actually address up to 3.3 GB of system memory but not by default. You must add a parameter to the boot line of the boot.ini file which is found in the root of drive c.

If you go for Windows 7 64 bit, it will address all your memory. Since you have a Mac Pro which can be loaded up with memory, Windows 7 64 bit is a good choice.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
maxxenbraxxen

thank you
QUOTE Thanks
maxxenbraxxen

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Windows XP 32 bit can actually address up to 3.3 GB of system memory but not by default. You must add a parameter to the boot line of the boot.ini file which is found in the root of drive c.

If you go for Windows 7 64 bit, it will address all your memory. Since you have a Mac Pro which can be loaded up with memory, Windows 7 64 bit is a good choice.

Regards.
Thank you. I added the parameter that everyone says should help to the boot file (until i get my hands on a win 7) but still it shows 1,99
here is what the boot file says
Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer /3GB
but it still shows 1.99
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« pen input in pdf's? | Recommended external monitors for a MacBook Pro? »