New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

My external hard drive won't show up anymore...please help...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bigreubs

bigreubs is on a distinguished road

Hi guys, I'm desperately in need of some help!

I have been working on a documentary and have been storing all my high definition video (captured from the Canon 7D SLR cam) onto an external hard drive. I have started editing this footage using Final Cut Pro. I then saved the project and turned off Final Cut. I then came back later, started it all up and realised that my external hard drive was not showing on the desktop anymore. I can't seem to find it anywhere. It's now un-recognisable. Here's my set up...

I have a Western Digital Elements 1TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive connected to my iMac. I am currently running Mac OS X Version 10.5.8, with a 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor.

The hard drive has not been dropped or hit in anyway. I have had it for about 4 months and it has never given me any problems. It was not un-plugged from the iMac suddenly either.

I tried disconnecting the hard drive and plugging it into my macbook, and it still didn't show up (but it usually does). I then took the drive and tried to connect it to a windows PC...again, it didn't show up. It did however, seem to mysteriously stop the internet connection from working. Every time it was plugged in, the internet stopped working. When we took it out then the internet would work immediately. ? ?

Can anyone help me please?

As long as I can recover the video footage I'm happy. There is a lot of irreplaceable work on there.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks guys!
QUOTE Thanks
DaFlake

DaFlake has a spectacular aura about

Can you feel the drive spinning up? What about the external power source for the drive, is it working? Try plugging it into a different outlet. If that doesn't work, find another power supply with the same output rating and see if that works. If it still doesn't work, it is possible that the drive died. I hope that you backed up that data.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Have you tried using Disk Utility to see if the drive shows in there when connected?

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
codda

codda is a jewel in the roughcodda is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFlake View Post
Can you feel the drive spinning up? What about the external power source for the drive, is it working? Try plugging it into a different outlet. If that doesn't work, find another power supply with the same output rating and see if that works. If it still doesn't work, it is possible that the drive died. I hope that you backed up that data.
That's what I don't get...do people really back up the back up? Where does it end...
QUOTE Thanks
bigreubs

@ DaFlake - Yea, the drive is spinning. The unit is vibrating as normal with is humming sound. The power source does work fine too. Can a drive simply just 'die' totally out of the blue?

@ Kevriano - Thanks for that Disk Utility tip. The drive DOES show up within Disk Utility when connected to the imac, however I am unable to click on any of the options on that screen, which are; Verify Disk Permissions, Repair Disk Permissions, Verify Disk and Repair Disk. (Those buttons are not live and cannot be pressed)

Any more ideas guys?

I've been told that a programme called 'Disk Warrior' could be used to recover the disk. Anyone recommend it or know anything about this programme?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Give this a shot - with the drive disconnected open case and disconnect the multi ribbon lead but leave power lead in. Power up until it stabilizes then shut down and reconnect and reassemble. With luck it will show up on desk top.
QUOTE Thanks
bigreubs

Also, when I turn the iMac on with the hardrive already plugged in I get an message come up on the screen saying:

Disk Insertation

The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer.

(initialiaze...) (ignore) (eject)

I always press the ignore button. I'm worried that initialize will wipe the drive?
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

That error sounds a little worrying. It means that for whatever reason it's in an unreadable format. At least it shows in DU though.
Out of interest, run Disk Utility again, and go to the erase tab, to see if it will give you the option to re-format (don't click anything!) If it will there may be hope.
Disk Warrior is a very good utility, but I have no experience of using it to recover external drives like this. It is generally used when file directories have got messed up on OS system drives.
No doubt it's a possibility though, but I suspect that there may be more useful data recovery software that will cost around the same.

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
DaFlake

Quote:
Originally Posted by codda View Post
That's what I don't get...do people really back up the back up? Where does it end...

The OP never stated that this was a backup drive. He/She simply said that there was data on the drive that they needed to recover. Not all external drives are used for backup.

A backup of data is another drive that contains an up to date COPY of the data you have on another drive.

To the OP, it sounds like the partition may have failed. Is it possible that you disconnected the drive without properly ejecting it? I have seen this happen on drives that were pulled out without the eject. If this happens when the disk is being written to it can cause what you are seeing. I would recommend a data recovery program to try and retrieve what you need.
QUOTE Thanks
codda

codda is a jewel in the roughcodda is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFlake View Post
The OP never stated that this was a backup drive. He/She simply said that there was data on the drive that they needed to recover. Not all external drives are used for backup.

A backup of data is another drive that contains an up to date COPY of the data you have on another drive.

To the OP, it sounds like the partition may have failed. Is it possible that you disconnected the drive without properly ejecting it? I have seen this happen on drives that were pulled out without the eject. If this happens when the disk is being written to it can cause what you are seeing. I would recommend a data recovery program to try and retrieve what you need.
Or both...correct..? I am going to be buying an external soon and plan to use as a backup/drive....
QUOTE Thanks
DaFlake

If you use it as a backup drive and a regular drive, you will need to backup the data that is stored solely on that drive to a different location. Redundancy is the key...
QUOTE Thanks
bigreubs

Thanks guys.

@ Kevriano - Disk Utility DOES give me the option to erase. So I guess it's hopeful.

All though it's not an Apple problem, I went done to the Genius Bar and was told that I'd have to use a data recovery plan. Again, the drive was not mounting on the macbook there.

I'm not giving up at all. My next plan of attack will be Disk Warrior.
QUOTE Thanks
bigreubs

CORRECTION!

The drive was NOT mounting on the macbook at the Genius Bar. Apologies.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Ok, if you can reformat, then there is a chance of data recovery, because it would just seem that the drive has lost a format sector somewhere.
Looking into Disk Warrior, I think it will be useful here, as it can rebuild directories, and is a very useful tool to have anyway.
Please keep us posted on your progress. Such a shame you can't just re-format, it would save you some money.

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

To bigreubs:

If the drive electronics have failed or there is some problem with the drive's firmware and it won't mount, recovery software might not work. It's worth a try, however. I recommend trying Data Rescue III by Prosoft. If anything can be recovered on the drive, it can do it.

You can download a trial version first and test it to see if it can get at your data. If it's successful, buy a license. $99.00 US

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OWC RAID 10 and Back Up Suggestions | Seagate Barracuda 500Gb external hard drive »