Security struggles with Iomega ix2-200
    I just purchased a ix2-200 (4 TB) RAIDed NAS device to use for Time Machine backups as well as to store some data that I want to protect from casual observers. (Yes, for better security, I will need to encrypt at rest which is another project).

First off, time machine is working very well. I simply use the admin password to authenticate when TM initially connects.

However, I can't seem to get regular file-based authentication working. There are a number of problems:

• My mac user is "firstname lastname", but the device doesn't accept spaces.
    • It seems to allow me access even though it didn't ask me to authenticate. It seems that it understands that I created the security. Under my wife's account, she doesn't have acess. I suspect because I've already authenticated as 'admin'.
    • When one attempts to enter a security folder, it simply posts an error message and doesn't provide a method to authenticate.

BTW: AFP and CIFS are enabled.

I'd expect at the least that any secure access attempt would require a pop-up to accept creds. My preference would be for it to recognize an appropriate person's Mac creds (or Windows creds for that matter) and silently give them access.

Any ideas?

Talking Solutions to the issue
    For those who run into a similar issue, here's what I found:

I did figure out how to enter credentials when mounting the NAS folder (in the finder ... I know, probably normal Mac knowledge, but I'm relatively new to Mac being a Unix/Linux and Windows guy). However, that sorta worked. Keep in mind that my NAS creds remained different from my Mac creds since I still had a space in my Mac username. Reading was fine, but I kept running into periodic failures when creating a file due to some unstated issue with permissions. This was the same whether I enforced security or opened it up fully. I was getting reading to ship the thing back.

Then I changed my Mac name by concatenating my first and last name to remove the space. I also insured that my NAS name was the same with the same password. Bingo, it's been working beautifully.

All this is with Apple Talk. I didn't play with CifS.

One more thing ... I just purchased an IMAC and when I created my account and logged in, it automatically found the Iomega. All I needed to do was to connect.

Thread Information