New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

HELP ME, PLEASE! 10.5.6 MacBook Kernel Panic.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

HELP ME

HELP ME is on a distinguished road

okay, my mac book 10.5.6. has been a little slow lately. i never noticed anything terribly strange though, except that my youtube wasn't always working. i tried to update my flashplayer and safari but my computer wouldn't let me, but i didn't think much of it. then, on friday, my computer asked if i wanted to update my software, which i did. so suddenly when it was updating the software it said that there was something wrong, and i needed to restart my computer. so i shut it down and started it up manually.
then, when it restarted IT WENT IT TO KERNEL PANIC! i had no idea what to do so i ran an extended hardware test and then it said error 4hdd/11/40000004 : SATA 10,01 . i don't really understand a word of what this means and everytime i switch on my computer now it brings me to the kernel panic thing, which i can't get past. what is wrong with my computer? and how can i fix this?

my computer is only about two years old by the way. please, please, please help me, i spent three weeks on an assignment which is on that laptop!

sorry i put this somewhere else as well, i'm new here and i'm desperate! ):
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

No need to double post no matter how desperate you are

1st things welcome and 2ndly try repairing permissions via Disk Utility. Do that then log out then back in and post back if you still have a problem

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
HELP ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
No need to double post no matter how desperate you are

1st things welcome and 2ndly try repairing permissions via Disk Utility. Do that then log out then back in and post back if you still have a problem

Cheers
Okay, thanks for replying!
uhm, how do i open disk utility if i can't even log in to my mac? everytime i switch on the computer it just goes straight to kernel panic, i don't even seen the log in screen. ):
i'm not posting from the faulty computer now, i'm using another one. but all my work is on that computer.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

You will have to do with your install disks that came with the Mac and while boting up hold down the 'c' key. When you get in select your language and then from the installer window, goto Utilitities>Disk Utilities.

Once that has opened select the First Aid tab then in the left column select your HD. You will see the Repair Permissions tab, so click that and sit back and wait until its finished. Then you should shut down then hopefully Start up as normal

Cheers

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
HELP ME

Quote:
You will have to do with your install disks that came with the Mac and while boting up hold down the 'c' key. When you get in select your language and then from the installer window, goto Utilitities>Disk Utilities.

Once that has opened select the First Aid tab then in the left column select your HD. You will see the Repair Permissions tab, so click that and sit back and wait until its finished. Then you should shut down then hopefully Start up as normal

Cheers
thank you! YOU ARE SO AWESOME.
i'm going to try it out now, is this a long term solution or just a temporary thing?
and should this still work if i charge my laptop while doing this? because my computer's running out of battery ):
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

This isnt temporary ... Its doing basically system maintenance .. This is something you can do every cpl of months or so.
Yep power is power so it will be fine.
Post back

Cheers

QUOTE Thanks
HELP ME

I just went to disk utility and there were three things on the left column one had the icon of a harddisk i think and it says 149.1 GB Hitachi HTS54
the other two have the icon of CDs and one says MAT****A DVD-R UJ-8667, the other is Mac OS X install Disc 1. i clicked the hitachi one but for some reason the verify disk permissions, repair disk permissions, verify disk and repair disk buttons are all faded and i can't click on any of them. i went to the MA****A one and only the verify disk permissions button works, it says Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit.

is my computer totally messed up? anything i can do? i called apple support but they're not picking up

OH SORRY! the mactintosh HD harddrive icon just appeared. i clicked on it and it's repairing permissions now! thanks a lot! hopefully it works now! (:
QUOTE Thanks
HELP ME

it says the permissions differ on a lot of things and there are a lot of warnings. but permissions repair is complete. do i still start up shut down and restart again?
sorry about the frequent posts, i'm kind of freaking out
QUOTE Thanks
Printerman

Printerman is a jewel in the roughPrinterman is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac10,1, 3.06 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 10.8.2, 21.5" screen.

That's what I would try, no harm I doubt, I'm a little bit blurry on your situation now, but I'd recommend backing up if possible.

-Dylan
QUOTE Thanks
vanamocha

vanamocha is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Cheers
What if my mouse doesn't work and I cant select language?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Depending on what Mac you have, but use your *arrow* keys, or *tab* to move and *return* to select .....

Cheers

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« blown logic board & no hard drive | Arrange USB files in order? »