New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

20" Cinema Display won't adjust brightness

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TomWilliams

TomWilliams is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 13" 2.26GHz

For no apparent reason the screen brightness keys on my keyboard and the buttons on the side of the monitor have just stopped working, what is even more confusing is even on the display pane of system preferences it doesn't give the option to adjust the brightness by means of a slider either, even though it does for my mbp's display.

All of these functions worked correctly until I tried to adjust the brightness today, I've restarted twice to no avail, and I am now completely baffled by this! Any help would be very much appreciated as the monitor is blinding me in my dark office!
QUOTE Thanks
SimonMW

SimonMW is on a distinguished road

Did you ever find a solution? My 23" ACD has just started doing exactly the same thing!
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Some things I can suggest:
1. Boot from your Install disk, and run Disk Utility > First Aid.
2. Repair Permissions, preferably using OnyX Titanium Software suitable for your OS version.

Are any other SysPrefs 'unavailable' to you; and does the cinema display itself have a brightness control that you can use to override the Mac controls?

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
SimonMW

SimonMW is on a distinguished road

I have repaired permissions, and gone through maintenance with Onyx. None of it is having an effect. The brightness button controls on the side of the monitor itself, along with the power button have stopped working. So I have no way of adjusting the brightness either from within system preferences, or on the monitor itself. The only way I can turn it off at the moment is to unplug it.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

It's likely then to be a hardware issue, something not right with the video component of the logic board. Which means doing as suggested in No 1 of my previous response. If repairs cannot be effected from the Install disk, then you could try Disk Warrior, but it's expensive.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mbp + 24" | Streaming over network »