New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Formatting a HD w/Mac OSX to be used w/XP - Help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

themissilesilo

themissilesilo is on a distinguished road

Hey all,

A friend of mine works on a Windows machine (I know booooo!), I formatted a HD drive for him on OS 10.5.8 in Disk Utility last night with the MS-DOS FAT32 setting and his XP machine won't recognize it.

Here is the info he emailed me:

"When I plugged in the docking station my computer registered a new device and looked like it was installing drivers - however no device interface ever appeared on the "my computer" screen. I went into my disk manager settings and the disk manager recognized the device but I still could not get a device interface to appear on my screen."

Here is run down of the hardware we are working with:
-Black Widow BlacX USB Docking Station
-Western Digital 150 GB 10k RPM S/ATA
-Dell Inspiron E1505 Laptop (his computer)

I know it's not a jumper issue because it mounted fine on my Mac.

Any thoughts from anyone with Mac and PC experience?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Ron
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You should not use Disk Utility to format a hard drive to FAT-32 which is to be used on a Windows computer.

The reason is this: Disk Utility will always format a drive using the EFI standard - that means it leaves a small 200 MB partition in front of the main partition. And that causes Windows to either not recognize the drive or only to recognize the small 200 MB partition.

You will have to wipe that drive clean (do not use Disk Utility) and start over by using another utility to format the drive. You can use something such as Partition Magic (Windows utility) from Symantec.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
frankmezz

frankmezz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21 inch

I have an old laptop 80gig drive i just put in an external case and formatted on my iMac using Fat 32 and it works fine on both my PC and iMac.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Poor External Display Resolution | Opening a wireless keyboard (A1016) - What size torx? »