Thread: Video Capture

lanne_roth
    Question Video Capture
    Does anyone know what Video Capture devices work with the EMac 1GHZ.

If anyone can help please let me know.

Specs:
    G52x1.81.53208x+/-
    any DV camera with Firewire

lokerd
    Quote Originally Posted by MacAddikt
    any DV camera with Firewire
    I am cursious about this as well, but from a VHS tape? Are there any good recommendations for video capture from a VCR or similar input? I would like to digitize some video for examples to use in class of stuff that is on VHS right now.

Thanks!
    Drew

Specs:
    20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
    i think that www.ulead.com has some devices and im pretty sure that sony has a firewire vcr deck that might work

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    If you are going to purchase something it would be better to get a DV camera and connect the camera to the VCR and copy the tape. Then connect the camera to the computer and import the media. I have been told the is something call Dazzle, that will do the job,

I choose the DV camera method, because I planning to buy a camera. I have not connected to the VCR as of yet, planning to in the near future.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

Specs:
    G52x1.81.53208x+/-
    im not sure every DV camera works as a digitizer(going from VHS-analog to the computer). i know the sony and JVC's do

Specs:
    17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
    I've used a couple Dazzle products. I wasn't that impressed. This was probably about a year ago however. Most of the Apple-heads out there use this : http://www.formac.com/p_bin/?cid=sol...rters_studiodv I believe. It is kinda pricey, but it's supposed to work really good. I would look at it, and then find a Dazzle that compares to it. Get the Dazzle and if you don't like it, bring it back and then check out the Formac solution. There is some more stuff out there that are available, and there is a thread kickin' around that has some links in it. Try and do a search for video and capture.

Just did a quick search and came up with the Canopus line of stuff : http://www.canopus.com. They are very expensive though, from memeory, but their stuff is supposed to be "studio" quality stuff.

Hope this helps...

EDIT: One last thing. Whatever you choose to get, make sure you get FireWire. You do NOT want to be doing video transfer with USB. It will work, but it will take forever. Only the really new Macs come with USB2 so there is no use looking at anything USB. Just took a quick look at the eMac specs, and none of them come with USB2. So FireWire is your friend here.

OffTopic : Do you love your eMac or what? I'd get one just to have one They are really nice.
    Emrys
    Community Administrator / Moderator
    MAC-FORUMS.COM - The Ultimate Source For Your Mac!

Specs:
    20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
    how do you convert analog to digital with a sony camera. i have a dcr-trv130 that only has a firewire input

lanne_roth
    Re: Imovie Playback
    This is an update of my original post.

On Friday, Jan.2.04 I called Apple Care and they informed me that the problem was not with the Hardware, but with 'iMovie'.

You can record the Video and Audio through Hollywood DV-Bridge to convert 'Analog to DV'. You hear the audio as it is recording, but when you play it back it is muted and has something to do with a glitch in 'imovie' which will probably be fixed in the next update. There are several people in the forum on the Mac site for 'iMovie' who have had the same problem as me.

I am VERY, VERY, VERY impressed with the 'Dazzle Hollywood-DV Bridge' which connects through the Firewire.
    The quality of video and sound is excellent, so don't be afraid to get one. I got it for Christmas and love it.

lanne_roth

Thread Information