New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

File names to long error when copying to NAS

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hagga27

hagga27 is on a distinguished road

Ive just set up my Netgear Ready NAS Duo 2000 with 2x Seagate 2tb Barracuda drives.

And it all seem to be working fine but when I linked up from my Intel Imac running OSX 10.4 it came up with an error saying file names are too long.

Out of a folder holding 10 files only 2 copied, do I need to reformat the drives on the duo in a different way and if so how do I do this?
I will mainly be accessing the drive from 2 macs one running OSX 10.4.11 and another running OSX 10.5.6.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

How are you accessing the NAS? SMB? AFP? How long are the file names?

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
hagga27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
How are you accessing the NAS? SMB? AFP? How long are the file names?

Regards
Im access the NAS through ethernet on a local network.

I did a test to see how many letters I could copy over and it seems its not the amount of letters as it says in the error, it cant seem to copy files with forward slashes (/) in their names.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

I have a ReadyNAS NV+, and I'm also accessing it over the Ethernet connection. I've used the NAS with a Linux, Windows 7 and now my iMac..I use both SMB and AFP to access the various shares on there..

You do not want to have files with symbols in their names, especially slashes, since the ReadyNAS is running Linux on it and forward slash is a directory de-limiter..you can use spaces in names, but avoid any other characters. Stick to just letters and numbers..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
hagga27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
I have a ReadyNAS NV+, and I'm also accessing it over the Ethernet connection. I've used the NAS with a Linux, Windows 7 and now my iMac..I use both SMB and AFP to access the various shares on there..

You do not want to have files with symbols in their names, especially slashes, since the ReadyNAS is running Linux on it and forward slash is a directory de-limiter..you can use spaces in names, but avoid any other characters. Stick to just letters and numbers..

Regards
Cheers

The problem is Im tying to archive off thousands of old jobs but the guy who worked here previously was a bit Slash happy in his file names, lol

I going to have to copy the files off in small batches and when I see an error go though the file names and remove the slashes I think.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hot external Lacie 250gb Hard Disk drive, help | Printer issues with Powerbook G4/OS X 10.4 »