Angry Brand new Toshiba 640 GB External Hard Drive won't show up on my PowerBook G4
    Okay so the title pretty much sums it up. But I purchased an external hard drive for my computer it says it is fully Mac compatible and everything. I'm a graphic design major and needed something rather large to back up my work. I can't seem to get the hard drive to connect to my computer. It makes the humming noise and the little blue light comes on the hard drive when I plug it in but I cannot find it on my computer anywhere. I believe my computer is a 2005 version and I am running Mac OS X 10.4.11 software on it currently.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Please let me know!!

Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    Is the hard drive powered?
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system

Thanks for responding so fast!

It is a USB 2.0 connection. Is that what you mean by powered?

Banks Peninsula, New Zealand
    MacMini 2.4, 8 Gb, OS 10.10 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.6.8
    USB power from a PwrBk is not reliable. Your Toshiba is bus-powered, and your PwrBk simply doesn't provide the necessary grunt to both run and read the external drive.

1. A powered USB hub, not great for portability, unless you use one of these CyberPower Mobile Battery Powered 4-Port USB Hub (CP-H420MP): Electronics [note: no longer manufactured, but they work well].
    2. I've read, but cannot recall detail, of people utilising two USB ports via a Y adaptor to run an external drive. Someone else may be able to advise you about this.
    3. An external power source for your Toshiba - if the enclosure in fact has a 6/9/12v input socket.
    Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Parkston, SD
    See Signature.
    I've also heard of people using the Y-adapter for using 2 USB ports. I personally haven't used one but a friend of mine uses one for his external drive. I'm guessing the connection on the drive is a Mini USB, correct?
    Zach H.
    PowerMac G4 AGP graphics, Mac OSX 10.4.11, 512 MB RAM, 10GB HD, 802.11g network card, 400 MHz PowerPC processor, 500GB Western Digital External HD hooked up on FW400

Thread Information