Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Other Hardware and Peripherals (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/)
-   -   Best USB Hub? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/197837-best-usb-hub.html)

Lost_Lady 04-08-2010 07:13 PM

Best USB Hub?

So I bought a Rosewill 7-port USB Hub about 2 months ago. The thing worked great, never had any problems. Until I found out that it stopped working this morning. Nothing was recognized (I got scared cause I though the external crashed), but then I looked at the USB Hub and it was overheating. I immediately unplugged everything, called the manufacturer and they are issuing me a refund. Now, my question to you all is: What is a reliable, but yet somewhat small USB Hub? I need at least 6 ports, this one currently has 8. Let me know of any suggestions. I did a Google search and all the potential one's I found had extremely mixed reviews. Let me know if you have any advice! Thanks!

Chef_eam 04-08-2010 07:22 PM

I have a 7 port Kensington PocketHub and have had no issues with it.

PocketHub 7-Port USB - K33366US - Kensington

hughvane 04-09-2010 12:44 AM

Not the cheapest, but Targus, which has 7 ports, including two high-powered (1000 mA) ones (good for bus-pwrd external drives); also audio pass-through, so you can plug in headphones, external amp/spkrs, etc. It's a goodie.
Targus Desktop 7-Port USB 2.0 Hub with Audio Pass-Through - hub - 7 ports Review | ZDNet: Reviews

Shop around though, that price has risen since I bought two years ago, I paid something like US$32, even down under in lil' ol' NZ.

Lost_Lady 04-09-2010 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hughvane (Post 1032617)
Not the cheapest, but Targus, which has 7 ports, including two high-powered (1000 mA) ones (good for bus-pwrd external drives); also audio pass-through, so you can plug in headphones, external amp/spkrs, etc. It's a goodie.
Targus Desktop 7-Port USB 2.0 Hub with Audio Pass-Through - hub - 7 ports Review | ZDNet: Reviews

Shop around though, that price has risen since I bought two years ago, I paid something like US$32, even down under in lil' ol' NZ.

Just bought that one off Amazon...We'll see how it works...*fingers crossed*

hughvane 04-09-2010 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lost_Lady (Post 1032964)
Just bought that one off Amazon...We'll see how it works...*fingers crossed*

Good luck. I've had a good run with mine, no problems at all.

Anther one I nearly bought and was going to mention was this Amazon.com: CyberPower High-Speed 7-Port USB Hub: Electronics, but it doesn't have the audio facility, and I didn't like the bright blue light.

I bought its little cousin, the battery-powered 4-port hub, great for portability Amazon.com: CyberPower Mobile Battery Powered 4-Port USB Hub (CP-H420MP): Electronics. They're no longer made, and there were mixed reviews and complaints about how difficult it is to insert or remove batteries.