New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Major HD Error - Disk Warrior 3 No Good?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

OctoMole

I have been alerted to major problems on my HD by Disk Doctor. Report as follows.

A major error was found in the header node of the wrapper’s Catalog B-tree.
The leaf record count is incorrect.
(11,2,20)
The problem was not fixed at user request.

I have used Disk Warrior 3 to rebuild my directory but I am still getting the same error message when I run Disk Doctor. I can still use OS9 & OSX and all applications but I am woried that one day I will lose all my data.

I have spoken to a few people about this but the only other option I have been given is to wipe my HDand re-install my OS. Having just spent the money on Disk Warrior I am a little reluctant to do this as I was hoping I would not have to spend the time sorting this out!

Any other ideas or do you think I should just bite the bullet and re-install as it may be a physical problem with the drive?
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-

ive used Drive 10, and it works somewhat.

about your computer though, if its working i dont see the need to wipe it out and reinstall. You can backup all your documents, so if something does happen and you do have to reinstall, you wont lose anything

QUOTE Thanks
OctoMole

My computer will function but it has slowed down (or so it seems). I would also like to use Speed Disk but cannot do so as the same error message keeps coming up. I have only had this Mac a few months and want to get this sorted as it may need a new HD altogether. Is it worth paying for a boot CD of Norton Utiliies, as all my attempts to create my own have failed at the last moment.
QUOTE Thanks
gatorparrots

Nay to Norton.
Yea to Disk Warrior. Failing that, it's time for new hardware.
QUOTE Thanks
OctoMole

I have now tried many different tests (Drive 10, Disk Warroir 3, Disk Utility + fsck -y) after rebuilding with DW3and they all give my HD a clean bill of health. However NDD is still showing the same error message as above. The Norton website suggests it may be to do with having OS9 & OSX on the same HD along with a few other possible explanations.
Having run DW3, do I assume that NDD is pants and doesn't know what it's going on about - or do I buy a boot CD and try that? I realise that it is becoming more and more likely that I will have to reinstall but I would rather not.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Warning; Warning; Will Robertson (with arming waving): :p

From what I have read Norton will trash your system. Don't trust it. It doses not work well in the OS X environment. I have read thart DW3 is better.
QUOTE Thanks
OctoMole

I am beginning to think that the problem is with the Norton diagnostics and not my HD - anyone had similiar probs?
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
Warning; Warning; Will Robertson (with arming waving): :p
or even Danger, Danger Will Robinson (aka, the right quote)

QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Thanks for the correction. lol :p
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Power PC G3 Memory question | 'Grand Canyon' giant-sized LCD monitors debuts »