New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Maxtor external HDD detection issues on Macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pdangera

pdangera is on a distinguished road

I use a maxtor 500GB external HDD to store my music and videos. My macbook runs Mac OSX 10.4.11. A few months ago, my macbook started having trouble detecting this drive when plugged in. Sometimes, the drive will work fine. Other times, it will power up, make some noise for a long time, then power down without being detected.

Recently, it completely stopped being recognized. The drive does show up in disk utility, but I have tons of data on this disk that I really need to recover, and I don't want to reformat it without backing it up.

I also noticed that on those few occasions that it used to be detected, if the usb cable was touched even slightly, the disk would be disconnected.

PLZ HALP!!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Have you tried a new USB cable? You might have a flakey cable. If it's not the cable (assuming you tried a new one) then the drive itself may be getting ready to fail. If you need to get your data off the drive and can't through normal means, you might try "Data Rescue 3".

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
SoaringDodo

SoaringDodo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4GHz i5 OS X 10.6.3

This may be a hardware failure on the part of the Maxtor HDD.

Usually it means the controller inside the enclosure goes out. Fortunately, it also means that you can remove the drive from the enclosure, install it in a new one and be back up and running.

Check the cable as chscag suggests and also try different USB ports to eliminate that as a potential cause.

If neither of these remedy your issue, then you'll need to take the next step and put the HDD in a new enclosure and go from there. If that doesn't work, then the drive is bad.

Not to be the bearer of bad new but Maxtor drives have a history of high failure rates. If you can get it up and running, I would suggest you get your data off it and onto another drive ASAP.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cheapest way to connect to tv...but still use computer | PC to Mac TIFF transfer - best, easy way? »