New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

New monitor suggestions please

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Rottie

Rottie will become famous soon enough

Hi folks,

I'm looking to replace my aging 19" 4:3 Viewsonic VX910, with something a little more up-to-date.

So far, I've narrowed the choices down to:
Asus VH242H
BenQ GH2420HD

I'm looking to connect the XBox 360 via HDMI and the Mini via DVI, so these two ports are a must-have, as are integrated speakers, although an audio out socket will suffice, so I can add external speakers, if need be.

Which of the two above monitors is better? Sorry, but things like contrast ratios go right over my head.

Can anyone recommend an alternative monitor, given the above "must-haves" and my budget?

Maximum budget of £220GBP.

Thanks for any help.

Mid 2011 i5 2.5 GHz iMac 21.5"
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

I think that 24" monitors these days are the "sweet spot" when it comes to price...so I think a 24" display is a great choice.

As far as the two monitors you listed...honestly...they look almost identical. But if I had to choose one...I would go with the Asus.

The biggest difference I see between the two monitors is the contrast ratio. The contrast ratio is supposed to be a ratio of the "whitest white" and the "blackest black" a monitor can produce. The bigger the number the better (supposably).

The Asus is 20,000:1...and the Benq is 1000:1. The problem is...there is no industry standard method for determining contrast ratio. So it's tough to make a true contrast ratio comparison.

The best way to chose a monitor is to actually look at them...but this may not always be possible when buying on the internet (if they are not available to view at a local computer/electronics store).

In any case I would go with Asus (just my humble opinion). It costs 10 pounds more than the BenQ...but the Asus says free shipping. The Asus contrast ratio is much higher than the BenQ (but who really knows if this is a difference you can actually see).

The response time is also very important...both monitors appear the same (5ms). And monitor brightness (300 cd/m2) is the same on both.

Just my humble opinion. I bet they would both be very good monitors compared to your old 19" monitor...simply because they are so much bigger (1900 x 1080) resolution.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Rottie

Hi Nick,

I'm kind of leaning towards the Asus myself - The lines look "cleaner" than the BenQ.
The free delivery option offered by Amazon is 3-5 working days and even if I take their Express delivery option, at around £10, I would still have to wait at least two days for them to get delivery from the manufacturer and then ship it on to me. Not good, when you consider the Bank Holiday (Good Friday + Easter Monday) here in the UK.

I've done a little more research, since my original post and have found an alternative supplier, who can get the monitor to me on Thursday, provided I order it by 1700 HRS Wednesday and they too have to place their order with the manufacturer, who will then direct ship the monitor to me.

All in all, this works out a little more expensive (£192.68) than going with Amazon, but at least I'll get the monitor in a reasonable timescale.

Anyone else have any other 24" full HD recommendations, before I call the supplier (misco.co.uk) tomorrow and give my debit card a work out?

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottie View Post
All in all, this works out a little more expensive (192.68) than going with Amazon, but at least I'll get the monitor in a reasonable timescale.
I know that you're excited to get a new monitor...but what's the hurry? You still have your 19" to use till the new one arrives.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Rottie

That's a good point, Nick

The thing is, with Amazon, although they're relatively cheap, the delivery of this item is what breaks the deal for me. If I pay for something, I don't want/expect to have to wait over a week to get my hands on it, physically.

Shame there are no "physical" stores (to my knowledge) that stock this monitor, or I would have picked one up and quite likely paid a little extra for it.

Also, the other reason I want to change monitors, is to free up one of the HDMI ports on my Sammy LE32A436T1D 32" 720p LCD, which is being used for my XBox 360 Elite, hence my requirement for a HDMI in on this monitor.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Hey...I can certainly understand wanting to get a new piece of electronic hardware as soon as possible!

Whenever I shop for something on the internet...free shipping is usually one of my BIG decision makers between two internet stores (as long as the price for the item is similar).

If you don't mind paying for shipping to get it faster...or if the shipping cost is really low...go for it!

I'm not sure how things work in the UK. But here in the US...sometimes if the location where the item is shipping from is not too far away from my location (say 100-200 miles)...free shipping can be just as quick as paying for "faster" ground shipping.

I just received something I purchased from an internet store today (about 300 miles away from me). It was supposed to take 4 days...but it only took 2 days.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Rottie

Hi again Nick,

I've just spotted this 22" Acer, which I can pick up tomorrow, if need be. What do you think?

The only slight niggle, is the speakers - 2x1W, but I can always get a set of desktop speakers, if need be.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottie View Post
Hi again Nick,

I've just spotted this 22" Acer, which I can pick up tomorrow, if need be. What do you think?

The only slight niggle, is the speakers - 2x1W, but I can always get a set of desktop speakers, if need be.
Nah....it looks like a nice monitor...but personally I wouldn't get this one. It's only 22" and the other two choices were 24" (bigger is better in my book)! The 22" monitor has the same resolution (1920 x 1080) as the two 24" monitors...but on the 22" everything will look smaller.

Plus the 22" is basically the same price as the two 24" choices...so I would stick with one of the two 24" ones.

HTH,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Rottie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Nah....it looks like a nice monitor...but personally I wouldn't get this one. It's only 22" and the other two choices were 24" (bigger is better in my book)! The 22" monitor has the same resolution (1920 x 1080) as the two 24" monitors...but on the 22" everything will look smaller.

Plus the 22" is basically the same price as the two 24" choices...so I would stick with one of the two 24" ones.

HTH,

- Nick
Hi again Nick,
Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking, myself. I guess I just needed someone else to tell me, though. lol
Looks like it's going to be the Asus, then. I will give amazon and the other supplier a call tomorrow to see who can deliver it quicker.

Thanks for your input, Nick - It's greatly appreciated.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Go for it!!!

If you had ordered it yesterday (instead of tomorrow)...you would be 2 days closer to getting it!

Good luck,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Rottie

Quote:
Go for it!!!

If you had ordered it yesterday (instead of tomorrow)...you would be 2 days closer to getting it!

Good luck,

- Nick
LOL! Yeah I know - I used to be indecisive, but now I'm just not sure

As soon as the SO rings me to tell me that she's put the money in the bank, then It's as good as ordered, so I should have my grubby mitts on it on Tuesday.

QUOTE Thanks
Rottie

UPDATE:

The monitor arrived this AM which isn't bad, considering it was ordered on Thursday and we had a long weekend here in the UK, so effectively, it was Next working day delivery.

A slight niggle was that the included DVI-D lead was totally non-functional, but I had a DVI lead from my previous monitor, which was 1000% better quality than the included one, which worked straight away.

I contacted the retailer (play.com) and told them that the supplied DVI lead didn't work and they credited my account with £15 as a good will gesture.

Just spent the last couple of hours trying to get the settings right, WRT brightness, contrast, etc and although not 100%, it's good enough for now.

Now all I have to do is optimize the monitor on the HDMI input, for the 360 and I can finally sit back and enjoy this beast.

Thanks for all your help and advice, Nick - Rep has been added for you.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Rottie,

Congrats on getting the new monitor. You didn't say anything about the new monitors size. I would think that 1920 x 1080 is nicer than your old 19" monitor!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Rottie

Quote:
Rottie,

Congrats on getting the new monitor. You didn't say anything about the new monitors size. I would think that 1920 x 1080 is nicer than your old 19" monitor!

- Nick
Hi again Nick,
Regarding the monitor's size: What can I say? It's a whole different world to my old 19", which was 1024x768 (IIRC).
This 24" widescreen definitely takes some getting used to. And so far, the only niggle I have is that the screen has a very small mark on it, like it's beneath the surface of the screen? No amount of polishing or cleaning seems to get rid of it.
Otherwise, it's a sweet monitor and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone else who's thinking of upgrading.

EDIT: I've uploaded a screenshot of the "mark/scratch", but it doesn't show up at all on the screenie - Could it be possible that the LCD's anti glare coating is scratched slightly? Would this be sufficient to get an RMA?
I've also uploaded a photo, taken with my phone, which shows the mark there.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2010-04-06 at 20.54.31.png (7.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Photo0043.jpg (307.2 KB, 7 views)

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Rottie,

It's sort of hard to tell just how big & distracting that mark is...but I know just how upsetting it can be to have a brand new monitor and even if there is just one dead pixel...your eye just gets drawn to it...and then it seems to stand out BIG TIME!

If this mark has really got you "bugged" and is worth the trouble of boxing it up & returning it...then get an RMA & return it. Of course you may have to wait a while longer before getting the replacement monitor (depending on the seller's exchange policy). You may have to wait until the item is returned & received by the seller before they ship you another one.

Regardless...you should be happy & satisfied!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« two monitors | Permissions problem when copying from backup »