New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

External CD Drive for Ripping CD's - need Recommendations

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Brian.Mac

Brian.Mac is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum so this my first post.

Anyway, I have a 1st generation Mac Book Pro which still amazes me after almost 5 years and I've recently begun to rip my CD collection to FLAC using XLD. I have read that this heavy duty ripping will probably wear out my internal CD Drive after a while.

I was wondering what some of the best External CD drives are for ripping CD's to a Mac would be... I've read that the old Plextor 230a drives were supposed to be the best but those are several years old at this point.

Any recommendations would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Brian
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

No specific model springs to mind, but those Plextor drives are very good.
Basically avoid cheap unknown brands and keep the lens cleaned regularly, and you should be fine.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
Jonik

Jonik is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBP 15"matt, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB RAM

Sorry to slightly change subject, but does the 'wearing out' of drives used for ripping apply to the current range unibodies and DVD ripping?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Like Kevriano no specific models jump to mind as significantly better than others, but I've always had good luck with Panasonic's. You can buy the drives and cases separately and do a build your own for less money, much like putting together your own external hard-dive.

My only real recommendation is to NOT buy a USB based drive unless it is USB 3. USB 2 is too slow and your only slowing down the process of getting data to/from the drive. Go with Firewire 400 or 800,USB-3 or eSata

QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonik View Post
Sorry to slightly change subject, but does the 'wearing out' of drives used for ripping apply to the current range unibodies and DVD ripping?
All drives wear out eventually, fact. It's down to how well you look after them.
Clean them regularly, and avoid cheap discs and scratched discs.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

See if this *DVD Burner round-up: Plextor, Panasonic & Pioneer drives tested @ TechSpot helps you to decide. My choice would be Pioneer.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« low quality picture with Samsung LCD connected to Macbook Pro | HDD partition problem »