New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Ľ Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Ľ Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

New WD My Book Essential 1TB HD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mickmcphee

mickmcphee is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4 intel dual core- 2G Ram-200GB HD-256 8600M GT

Hi,

I have just bought a WD 1TB My Book Essential HD for my Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, running Mac OS X 10.5.8

I also have a WD 500Gb HD, that i use for Time Machine and have noticed that it does not show up on a PC when plugged in.

I would like to use my new drive on both PC and Mac, for movies, music etc... and am wondering if I need to format it differently to avoid having the same problem.

Or should I leave the standard HFS+J formatting it comes with ?

Cheers

Mike
QUOTE Thanks
DavidHH

DavidHH has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini

I believe you must format the HD to FAT32 if you want to use it on both PCs and Macs.

I would check the Western Digital Web Site as they might clarify the formatting options for you.

DavidH
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

If you keep it HFS, Windows out of the box can not read it. You have a few options.

First FAT32. Both OSX and Windows will both read and write to the drive with FAT32. Only downside is if you work with LARGE single files 4GB or higher each, FAT32 can not write a single file over 4GB. If that will never be an issue, FAT32 is the best way and the easiest also.

You can keep it at Mac OSX Extended (Journalized) and purchase a application for Windows called MacDrive and then it will both read and write to the OSX formatted drive.

You can also plug it into the Windows machine and format it NTFS. OSX will by default read but not write to an NTFS partition. If you are running Snow Leopard, you can easily enable R/W support for NTFS. If you are running Leopard or Tiger there is other software to enable NTFS R/W support.

If the 4GB single filesize limit is not an issue, just go with FAT32. Everything will read/write to it!
QUOTE Thanks
Mickyfin

Mickyfin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 17" 2.8

The My Book HDD will formatted for Mac as default, so David suggestion above is what you need to do in order to use on both, Windows, and Mac OS X Environments.
QUOTE Thanks
mickmcphee

mickmcphee is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4 intel dual core- 2G Ram-200GB HD-256 8600M GT

Thank you everyone for your posts.

I formatted the disk as FAT32 in 'Disk Utility'.

I was told that file size transfer is limited to 4GB but thats fine. I also found out from WD support that Time Machine cannot be used with that Format. Luckily i have another WD drive dedicated for that.

Thank you again.

Mike
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple TV- Sync question | formatting an external hard drive both NTFS and FAT32? »