New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Ext HDD File Recovery/Restore

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dmanlan

dmanlan is on a distinguished road

I was deleting a USB stick in the disk utility but accidentally ended up pressing erase for my external hard drive.
In a panic, I unplugged the Firewire cord of the external, hoping to save the data, but now the data is showing up as locked files. The icons are like little grey windows with locks in the left hand corner. When I try and open them they either open the Textedit application or a message comes up saying "There is no default application specified to open the document'... and then it gives me an option to "choose application".
I've been experimenting with file recovery software, but most of it isn't doing much. The hard drive wasn't erasing long enough for a terrabyte of data to be deleted, but all of the files are no longer accessible.
Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

What format was the external hard drive using that you accidentally erased, or partially erased? (It makes a difference which recovery software to use.)

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
dmanlan

dmanlan is on a distinguished road

Right now, in Disc Utility, it says:
MS-DOS File System (FAT32)

Maybe it reverted to this format.

I believe what it was using before was:
Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't get external hard drive recognized | External HD Transfer »