New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Can't get external hard drive recognized

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rsherid

rsherid is infamous around these parts
Mac Specs: 13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.

I've had a 1TB external drive working wonderfully as a Time Machine backup for the last month. It had been unplugged for the last couple days, but I plugged it in today to do a back-up. Unfortunately, it wasn't recognized. It stills lights up and makes noises, but no matter which USB port I put I use or how many times I restart, my MacBook won't recognize it.
QUOTE Thanks
rsherid

rsherid is infamous around these parts
Mac Specs: 13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.

Nevermind, it was just recognized after 20 minutes of nothing. Is this bad?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It should have taken no more than around 20 seconds for that drive to be recognized. Keep your eye on it very closely as that might indicate the drive is about to fail. You didn't mention the make of the drive, but it might be a good idea to do some on line searches to see there have been reported problems with particular model.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

And when connected run Disk Utility Verify Disk over it and see what is reported. It may well be on the way out. Alas even drives fresh out of the box fail at times.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ext HDD advice request :) | Ext HDD File Recovery/Restore »