New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

250GB WD mybook (yellow circle)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jonik

Jonik is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBP 15"matt, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB RAM

Hi all,

I own a 3+ year old WD mybook 250GB with yellow circle on the case. Now, it has never had a problem, and doesn't look like it will fail soon (touch wood).

IF it was to fail on me, would I be able to replace the drive inside, say... to a 1TB or 2TB drive? Are there specifications of what can/cannot be upgraded and what speeds/chache they have to be?

I've done multiple google searches, but nothing specific has turned up, just how to open the case...

It would really help me decide on a HD purchase if I knew whether I could upgrade a case I already own or not.

Thanks very much!

Jonik
QUOTE Thanks
Jonik

Additional info:

ie would one of these: WD Caviar Green 1 TB SATA Hard Drives ( WD10EARS )

be suitable to fit in one of these cases: WD My Book Essential Edition External 250GB Hard Drive - WDG1U2500E - Compare Prices and Buy at PriceGrabber

and are there any limitations such as:

-as the case is for a 7200 it has to be a 7200rpm new drive
-the chache has to be no more than 32, say, so not 64?
-The case can only hold up to 1TB not anything more...
-other examples!

Thanks very much!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I can't speak for prices in the UK, however, here in the US a new USB 2 or FW carrier case for a 1 or 2 TB drive is not expensive. I recommend rather than cannibalizing your current MyBook carrier that you purchase a new carrier instead. (You would need to get hold of the specs for the WD MyBook carrier to see if a larger drive could be installed in place of the original.)

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Jonik

That's a very good point. Even if it's a few quid more, there's the benefit of new warranty and new case/cables etc.

Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External HD affecting the system speed | Grrrrrr at WD drives »