New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

RAID with LIAN LI ex-50 doesn't work

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zobelinski

zobelinski is on a distinguished road

hi there,
having decided to go for an external raid system I've found the Lian LI EX-50 which houses up to 5 drives.
I've put 2 seagate barr. 1.5 TB and 2 seagate barr. 1.0 TB in and now the trouble starts.
when I power it up, it shows all four drives mounting( green lights) for like 10 sec.
then with a short blink of red 3 of them go out and one stays on.
this is the one that mounts on the desktop.
the others dont show up at all.
I'm on an OWC internal ESATA adapter and my other ESATA disks that I occasionally connect through that all work perfectly fine.
also the software that comes with the EX50 (JMraid setup) says <no drives or raids found>.
could it be that I need a port multiplier or something like that?
any Ideas ?
cheers
stephan
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Don't really know anything about the device and the owners manual is not that great either. I would ask:

have you tried clearing the RAID
what RAID setting are you using
have you activated the RAID setting

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
zobelinski

done all that repeatedly...

MAC PRO with 12 gb,nikon,logic, mac book pro, 10.6.2
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I should have said the owners manual bites. I'm out of ideas with no leads from there, the Lian Li site and the only Lian Li forum I found is closed.

Looks like you may have to resort to contacting their tech support. Getting into the electronics side instead of just being a case manufacturer, tech support is probably still new for them. Good luck. Here's their contact link.

Only other thing I can think of is removing and reinserting the 3 drives that are not staying green once started up. Since you're starting with raw drives anyway, you might try 1 additional drive at a time with RAID 0 or 1 just to see what happens.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
zobelinski

you mean hotplugging ???

MAC PRO with 12 gb,nikon,logic, mac book pro, 10.6.2
QUOTE Thanks
xenophon61

xenophon61 is on a distinguished road

Hi to all, and greetings from Athens.

I've attached a Lian-Li EX50 using the (supplied) PCI-X1 eSATA card, and was able to use it with Snow Leopard. From what I can tell, the key issues are as follows:

(a) if you plug it into one of your eSATA ports, you have to make sure it's port-multiplier-compatible

(b) if you use the supplied eSATA adapter, which is based on an old Silicon Image chipset, you have to install the Snow Leopard Sil3132 drivers and then do some simple plist editing

There is a writeup describing the steps involved on my blog.

Myself, I'm pretty happy with this product.

Hope this helps.

Xen
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need Advice on buying external DVD burner | For users w/ 8GB memory; Why do you need your RAM? »