New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

How to use my external drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

laraelynn

laraelynn is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: I have a two year old iMac OS X version 10.6.2

I have an iMac OS X version 10.6.2. I just purchased a Hitachi Simple Drive 2TB and have got it set up on a USB port. My plan is to use this external drive specifically to store and organize all of my many years of family photos. I currently use iPhoto for this and want to know if I can move iPhoto to the new external drive. If that can be done, how do I do it? I have searched the web for information on how to use external drives with no luck. I can read about which ones to buy, how they work, and all other kinds of things, but nothing specific on how to actually move programs to the external drive. Please help!
QUOTE Thanks
TomTomTuning

TomTomTuning is a jewel in the roughTomTomTuning is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone

First of all; does the drive have firewire800? (FW800 is much faster then USB2.0 on a mac). If it does, use that instead of USB2.0. If not, oh well i guess.

Anyway, here is how to move your iPhoto Library to an external drive.
http://basics4mac.com/article.php/move_iphoto_lib

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

iPhoto supports having multiple libraries, which can be located on any drive you like, so I would suggest having the family photos in their own particular library located on the external.

You didn't mention any way of backing up those important family photos, so I hope you've got that aspect worked out as well.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.reader View Post
Preferred data transfer method of external hard drives by most of the users around the world is through the USB 2.0
Not to mention that its faster and more secure against corruption than the firewall port.
By "firewall port" I'm assuming you mean Firewire, in which case your post is blatantly false. Firewire is much faster than USB 2.0, especially at sustained transfers, hence why it's the standard of choice for HiDef camcorders.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
By "firewall port" I'm assuming you mean Firewire, in which case your post is blatantly false. Firewire is much faster than USB 2.0, especially at sustained transfers, hence why it's the standard of choice for HiDef camcorders.
sam.reader is some kind of misguided spammer, or bot.

He posts the exact same thing in multiple threads, and as you point out not only is it incorrectly worded, its not true.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

laraelynn:

Word of advice: Storing valuable family photos or records on a hard drive may seem like a simple way of gathering everything in one place. And of course, with large hard drives like yours ( 2 TB ) you can store literally thousands of photos.

However, hard drives do fail. It's not a question of "if" it's "when". You could wind up losing all your family photos or having to restore them at a tremendous cost if the drive fails.

What I suggest is that you consider backing up those family photos to either DVD media or invest in a good Blue Ray recorder. Blue Ray disks can hold many times the capacity of even a Dual Layer DVD.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Backing up to External HD? | Shared external hard drive »