New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

DVI to HDMI help


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
DannyV

 
Member Since: Mar 07, 2010
Posts: 23
DannyV is on a distinguished road

DannyV is offline
Hello,

I have just purchased a mini-DVI to DVI and HDMI cable from ebay which costed me $10 with free shipping. Here is the link: Mini-DVI TO HDMI/DVI CABLE ADAPTER FOR APPLE MACBOOK - eBay (item 280462487360 end time Mar-09-10 19:39:38 PST)

After paying for it I then found out that DVI and HDMI are the exact same connector, with the only difference being audio. So I messaged the seller and asked for this one instead since there will be no audio: NEW MINI DVI TO DVI CABLE ADAPTER FOR APPLE MACBOOK - eBay (item 270536205642 end time Mar-24-10 23:21:37 PDT)

I need a 25ft cable to go from the mini-DVI to my TV. Which one should I buy? (Preferably cheapest):

DVI-DVI
DVI-HDMI
HDMI-HDMI

Since there is no point of using HDMI because of no audio, is it cheaper to just buy DVI-DVI?

Or should I just keep the original mini-DVI that I bought and buy a DVI-HDMI cable so that it could be interchangeable?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

 
bobtomay's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 22, 2006
Location: Texas, where else?
Posts: 24,993
bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

bobtomay is offline
DVI and HDMI are in no fashion the same connector. Here is a pic of the two side by side with the DVI on the left and the HDMI on the right.



Even the adapter you bought has two connections on it, one for DVI and another for HDMI.

Your question cannot be answered without more information.

Please check this thread.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
DannyV

 
Member Since: Mar 07, 2010
Posts: 23
DannyV is on a distinguished road

DannyV is offline
I am aware that they are not the same connector, but they do in fact deliver video the exact same way which is what I will be using one or the other for.

I have a 13" MBP and a 26" Toshiba TV that supports DVI and HDMI.

What other information is required?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

 
bobtomay's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 22, 2006
Location: Texas, where else?
Posts: 24,993
bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

bobtomay is offline
Under normal situations I would recommend DVI over HDMI to a set that has DVI. You'll not need to deal with overscan issues that arise from using HDMI to many TV sets.

I would not recommend DVI for that long a run at all. The specification for DVI is 5 meters (approx 16'). Whether you can get it to work at longer lengths will depend on the hardware (graphics card) and the cable itself. There is degradation of digital video signals over these longer lengths which result in pixelation, artifacts, and stuck pixels on your display.

I would keep the adapter you have, just because it has both DVI and HDMI. That could come in handy down the road. (I'm assuming it works here). At 25', I'd definitely go with HDMI. monoprice.com is where I go for most cables. Their site is down until Tuesday for updating but sales is open. My guess... their 25' HDMI cable, version 1.3 is probably around $15. I know many people using 50' runs of HDMI without issue.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 25,753
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
After paying for it I then found out that DVI and HDMI are the exact same connector...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
I am aware that they are not the same connector,
If you don't want to be misunderstood...clarity is important.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
DannyV

 
Member Since: Mar 07, 2010
Posts: 23
DannyV is on a distinguished road

DannyV is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Under normal situations I would recommend DVI over HDMI to a set that has DVI. You'll not need to deal with overscan issues that arise from using HDMI to many TV sets.

I would not recommend DVI for that long a run at all. The specification for DVI is 5 meters (approx 16'). Whether you can get it to work at longer lengths will depend on the hardware (graphics card) and the cable itself. There is degradation of digital video signals over these longer lengths which result in pixelation, artifacts, and stuck pixels on your display.

I would keep the adapter you have, just because it has both DVI and HDMI. That could come in handy down the road. (I'm assuming it works here). At 25', I'd definitely go with HDMI. monoprice.com is where I go for most cables. Their site is down until Tuesday for updating but sales is open. My guess... their 25' HDMI cable, version 1.3 is probably around $15. I know many people using 50' runs of HDMI without issue.
Thanks for your help, would I not be better off buying a shorter DVI cable and using an external wireless mouse and keyboard?

And why shouldn't I buy a DVI-HDMI cable like this one?:
This way I could try both with the adapter that I have

By the way here are the TV's that I have: Toshiba Regza 26HL67 Flat-panel TV reviews - CNET Reviews
Sony Bravia KDL-46XBR6 Flat-panel TV reviews - CNET Reviews
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

 
bobtomay's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 22, 2006
Location: Texas, where else?
Posts: 24,993
bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

bobtomay is offline
Neither one of those TVs have a DVI input.

Your primary input options with either of those is VGA or HDMI.

No, I wouldn't get the DVI to HDMI cable since you already have an adapter with HDMI. I'd go with an HDMI cable.

I would purchase the shortest length of cable required to go from the TV to your computer.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
DannyV

 
Member Since: Mar 07, 2010
Posts: 23
DannyV is on a distinguished road

DannyV is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Neither one of those TVs have a DVI input.

Your primary input options with either of those is VGA or HDMI.

No, I wouldn't get the DVI to HDMI cable since you already have an adapter with HDMI. I'd go with an HDMI cable.

I would purchase the shortest length of cable required to go from the TV to your computer.
Alright so with your help I've come to the conclusion that I will be using HDMI. Now I have two more issues to tackle.

1. HDMI pricing and length - Is it true that the longer the cable is the more you should pay for it, in order to ensure proper signal transfer and quality?
i.e. If I were to go with a 25 ft then looking for one like this is the better the option: 25FT HDMI 1.3b 1080p Gold Plated Cable For HDTV PS3 LCD - eBay (item 290393582527 end time Mar-21-10 03:02:22 PDT) instead of a generic one like this: HDMI to HDMI (M/M) Gold 25 ft Long Video Cable PS3 HDTV - eBay (item 140388955321 end time Mar-11-10 15:13:39 PST)

2. Audio - I will be connecting my Macbook to the HDMI audio in input on the back of my TV using this: and the cables will be around 25ft. Is this setup sufficient enough for good audio without 5.1? What other options are there?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

 
bobtomay's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 22, 2006
Location: Texas, where else?
Posts: 24,993
bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

bobtomay is offline
1. The 2nd cable you have there is actually the more expensive when you compare both of them in U.S. dollars.

Just look for a cable that has the 1.3 certification on it so you don't have to worry about connecting it to any other HDMI device. They all should be in the $16-$20 range at 25'.

You'll need to use HDMI 1 on the Toshiba
You'll need to use HDMI 4 on the Sony

2. Audio: there is no other option to have the sound through the TV with those two models. Neither one of them have the capability of receiving 5.1 from a computer.

And don't forget to go into the Audio settings on the Toshiba and change the PC Audio to No.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
DannyV

 
Member Since: Mar 07, 2010
Posts: 23
DannyV is on a distinguished road

DannyV is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
1. The 2nd cable you have there is actually the more expensive when you compare both of them in U.S. dollars.

Just look for a cable that has the 1.3 certification on it so you don't have to worry about connecting it to any other HDMI device. They all should be in the $16-$20 range at 25'.

You'll need to use HDMI 1 on the Toshiba
You'll need to use HDMI 4 on the Sony


2. Audio: there is no other option to have the sound through the TV with those two models. Neither one of them have the capability of receiving 5.1 from a computer.

And don't forget to go into the Audio settings on the Toshiba and change the PC Audio to No.
What do you mean by this?

EDIT: Nevermind, gotcha Thanks again for all your help, I'll let you know how the setup goes once I actually do it
QUOTE Thanks
DannyV

 
Member Since: Mar 07, 2010
Posts: 23
DannyV is on a distinguished road

DannyV is offline
Alright so I just received what I bought, and found out that I got the wrong one. My macbook pro has a mini display port not a mini dvi.

Should I buy...

OPTION A - mini display port to hdmi + 6ft hdmi cable:


or

OPTION B - mini display port to dvi + 6ft dvi to hdmi cable:

+


PS: keeping in mind that later down the road i might want to plug in my macbook into a projector or a device that has VGA. Is it not easier to go from OPTION B to VGA? Or can I stick with OPTION A and go from HDMI to DVI using an adapter and then DVI to VGA with another adapter?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

 
bobtomay's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 22, 2006
Location: Texas, where else?
Posts: 24,993
bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

bobtomay is offline
No, you will not be able to use a DVI to VGA "adapter" attached to a mini display port to DVI adapter. The mini displayport to DVI adapter will allow you to connect a DVI-I or DVI-A cable to it, but the output is DVI-D only, meaning it outputs only the digital signal. There is no analog support provided through this adapter.

See this thread - post 5, Item # 1 for the least expensive way to connect to VGA from a mini displayport.

I would not recommend either one of those options to get from a mini displayport to HDMI. No reason to have two pieces when one will do. Head over to monoprice.com and pick up one of these in the length you need.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
DannyV

 
Member Since: Mar 07, 2010
Posts: 23
DannyV is on a distinguished road

DannyV is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
No, you will not be able to use a DVI to VGA "adapter" attached to a mini display port to DVI adapter. The mini displayport to DVI adapter will allow you to connect a DVI-I or DVI-A cable to it, but the output is DVI-D only, meaning it outputs only the digital signal. There is no analog support provided through this adapter.

See this thread - post 5, Item # 1 for the least expensive way to connect to VGA from a mini displayport.

I would not recommend either one of those options to get from a mini displayport to HDMI. No reason to have two pieces when one will do. Head over to monoprice.com and pick up one of these in the length you need.
But what if one day I need a longer one and I'm stuck with the single cable; whereas, getting the two pieces allows for easier extension.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

 
bobtomay's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 22, 2006
Location: Texas, where else?
Posts: 24,993
bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

bobtomay is offline
Exactly how does having two pieces allow for easier extension?

You're still going to have to purchase a new cable.

The more connections you have, the more points of failure you have and the harder it is to diagnose where the failure is when it happens.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
DannyV

 
Member Since: Mar 07, 2010
Posts: 23
DannyV is on a distinguished road

DannyV is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Exactly how does having two pieces allow for easier extension?

You're still going to have to purchase a new cable.

The more connections you have, the more points of failure you have and the harder it is to diagnose where the failure is when it happens.
Fair enough.

The only concerns that I have now before ordering is that it has had some bad reviews about the connector housing being too thick and slightly covering up the USB and firewire ports and its not gold plated.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Little black tissue came with my MacBook Pro | NEED HELP! How can I back up ext hdd? »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
mini dvi to hdmi cable? hkyhead13 Apple Notebooks 5 11-29-2009 06:33 PM
MacBook 13" Mini DVI to HDMI Question DodgeViper Apple Notebooks 5 08-12-2009 09:30 PM
DVI to DVI to HDMI redstar Apple Notebooks 0 08-01-2009 01:51 AM
mini DVI to DVI to HDMI? skee Apple Notebooks 3 12-26-2008 08:51 PM
Is DVI to HDMI a one way lead? cheezy Other Hardware and Peripherals 3 05-04-2006 08:03 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?