New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

I just accidently formatted my external in disk utility!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SuperTron

SuperTron is on a distinguished road

Hello,
So, as the title says, I just accidently formatted my 1TB hard drive into ntfs and deleted everything in disk utility Can someone point me to where I can get software to repair this, it only took about a minute to do, so i believe it was just a quick format.... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
SuperTron
QUOTE Thanks
mtbinva

mtbinva will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.

Unplug it and don't touch it!!!!! Get a program called File Scavenger. It WILL work. (on a pc based machine.
QUOTE Thanks
mtbinva

mtbinva will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.

or for Mac....Buy Stellar Phoenix Macintosh Data Recovery Software to recover deleted Mac data & volumes
QUOTE Thanks
SuperTron

I unplugged it... so i should get file scavenger and run it on a pc with my hard drive connected? Will that just copy the files? or replace the original memory pointers on the hard drive? The problem is I dont have space to put all my stuff... it would be much better if I could just reformat to HFS+ with all my stuff there
QUOTE Thanks
SuperTron

And I tried the stellar program, but it wont see my external, only my internal drives.... so if anyone could show me how to use that that would be great
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTron View Post
Hello,
So, as the title says, I just accidently formatted my 1TB hard drive into ntfs and deleted everything in disk utility Can someone point me to where I can get software to repair this, it only took about a minute to do, so i believe it was just a quick format.... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
SuperTron
I don't know what you did, but you didn't use Disk Utility to format your external drive to NTFS as DU is incapable of formatting anything to NTFS. Did you accidentally format it to FAT-32 or reformat it as HFS+? Or did you use the Windows Disk Manager to format the drive to NTFS?

You said you tried Stellar Data Recovery and it couldn't "see" the drive? Which version of Stellar did you use? There is a version for Windows and for the Mac.

We need to know exactly what it is you did?

In the meantime, you might want to try Data Rescue.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
SuperTron

Hey, ok so, first of all, I did use disk utility to format it to ntfs, because I have ntfs-3g installed on my computer

Secondly, I am using the mac version of stellar pheonix, version 3.5.

by "i cant see the drive" i mean that when i select the format recovery option, only my internal drives show up, the only way I seem to be able to see my hard drive is by selecting the scan option, letting the hard drive be scanned and then recovering the data.... Thats what im attempting to do now, anything wrong with that idea? again, any help is greatly appreciated. If anyone knows how to use stellar pheonix version 3.5 to recover external hard drives it would be nice

Thanks,
SuperTron
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

OK. You never mentioned using NTFS 3G in your initial post. If the drive has been formatted to NTFS like you say, try the Windows version of Stellar instead.

What you're doing now by scanning the drive and attempting to recover that way is also OK. Should work, albeit slow.

Let us know.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
SuperTron

Alright, so just to clarify, right now I am using the "search for lost/damaged drives" option of steller pheonix, and this is what it looks like after a night of scanning (attached). Once this finishes, I will use the reformatted drive recovery option, and im hoping I can get my stuff back. However, how will i know which drive to recover from, there are 23 lost/damaged drives found as of right now If I'm doing something wrong please let me know.

Cheers,
SuperTron
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 1.png (32.3 KB, 7 views)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Time Capsule is to cheap... | Problem with external hard drive »