Problems burning a DVD

I've been having major problems using iDVD and disk utility. This is my first mac ever..I've called the apple experts three times, each time I get a little further but still have not been successful in burning a DVD. The last time i tried to burn a DVD using iDVD the program said it finished burning, but there was still time left. I tried the DVD out in my dvd player, but it didnt work...and iDVD was still counting down time. I decided to stick the dvd back in, but it didnt let me eject it out. I decided to let iDVD finish, but it got stuck at 3 minutes left for about two hours. .So, the burn failed.

I then tried to used disk utility by creating a disk image, the movie worked fine when i tested it out. So i tried burning the dvd and i got the error message (twice) "the burn failed because of a medium writing error". I'm using DL +R DVDs. When i did a test burn of a 10 second video it burned just fine in iDVD, the movie file that i am trying to burn is 7.64GB.
    ~*~Volleyball isn't just a sport, it's WAR in spandex~*~

Banks Peninsula, New Zealand
    MacMini 2.4, 8 Gb, OS 10.10 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.6.8
    Welcome to Mac-Forums Kristy.

Okay, have read your other post again, so when you've tried some of the options suggested, post back in this thread.

A further option is Burn Burn - Home. I have never used it, so cannot comment on how good/bad it might be.
    Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Thread Information