New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

22 or 24 inch HDMI enabled monitor recommendations please

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Rottie

Rottie will become famous soon enough

Hi folks,

I'm currently using a ViewSonic VX910 4:3 monitor, connected to my Mini via Mini DVI > DVI, and I'm looking to get a larger monitor in the next couple of months.

Ideally, what I'm looking for, is either a 22" or 24" 16:9 HDMI monitor, that will allow me to make use of the Minis 1080P output.

I can't afford any of Apple's offerings, so I'm in the market for an OEM brand, like Samsung (I have a Samsung TV, so know their quality) or Ilyama, but I'm also willing to listen to opinions on other brands, as well.

The monitor must have HDMI input, as I intend connecting it to either my PS3, or my XBox 360, which are both taking up precious HDMI real estate on my TV at the moment.

So, come on, folks! What are your recommendations?
Are there any brands I should give more than a cursory glance to and conversely, are there any others which I should avoid?

Thanks in advance.

MODS: Can you please move this thread to the "Anything goes" section - I posted here in error - Thanks.

Mid 2011 i5 2.5 GHz iMac 21.5"
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Moved to 'Other Hardware and Peripherals'.

No tech questions belong in Anything Goes.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Rottie

Thanks Bob

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I've got a couple of Samsung monitors that I'm happy with. Some folks don't like them, but I personally think they're a good choice for the $$ and they perform well. But that's just my opinion.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Rottie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I've got a couple of Samsung monitors that I'm happy with. Some folks don't like them, but I personally think they're a good choice for the $$ and they perform well. But that's just my opinion.

Regards.
Thanks for that, chscag
Do you have any model numbers I could google?

Also, a friend has mentioned the HP LP2475W, which, from googling, seems to get some very good reviews. Does anyone here have any first-hand experience of this monitor?

Thanks.

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Just out of curiousity, what is the specific advantage of using a Monitor vs a 22 - 24in HDTV?
QUOTE Thanks
Rottie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
Just out of curiousity, what is the specific advantage of using a Monitor vs a 22 - 24in HDTV?
Hi there,

Just my opinion, but I find that TVs tend to use a higher contrast ratio than dedicated monitors.

TVs are meant to be watched/viewed at a distance, but monitors are designed for close-up viewing.

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Sounds reasonable. I asked because I have my mini hooked to a 37" HDTV and it looks pretty good. Admittedly, I'm not right on top of it either.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« how do you take a video from imovie and open it on a pc? | Apple Magic mouse on windows 7 problem »