New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Connecting your Mac to your TV

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Trolle

Trolle is on a distinguished road

It is MBP a (i.e. model number A1286)

15" MBP, 2.4 GHz, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.3
iPod Classic (7th generation)
iPad Mini, 64GB Cellular (1st generation), iOS 6.0.2
iPhone 5
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Trolle:

Without a doubt, Phillips has just taken over as the absolute worst user guides for a TV from any manufacturer I've ever seen.

Bottomline - your guess may be as good as mine if you want to get audio on the TV along with the video.

Based on what I'm reading - my best guess, there is no way to get a separate audio input to work with an HDMI input. I'm not even sure the only audio input there will work with the VGA port on that TV.

Option 1 - VGA
You're going to need a mini-displayport to VGA adapter - I would recommend getting Apple's if you can still find one. - and a VGA cable.

Audio - Based on the picture - you're going to need a 3.5mm stereo mini-plug cable like this.

Option 2
Video only - mini-displayport to HDMI cable or adapter and a HDMI cable.

Video and audio, you're going to need something that will combine the audio and video from your Mac, like this or this.
Then add a HDMI cable.

No idea where you'll find something like those last 2 adapters there in Estonia.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Trolle

Thanks for the detailed help. I will have to look around and see what I can find.

Well, I guess I can cross Philips off my list when looking for a flat screen for our main home.

iPhone 5
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

The good news is that all Macs from about late '09 have the audio via the video output.
Took Apple awhile to figure out we all wanted to use our big screens.

QUOTE Thanks
Trolle

Just a follow up question: would a viable alternative be to purchase an Apple TV? I haven't tried one yet but maybe it would be easier when it comes to cables etc. The main thing I want to do is watch Netflix on the tv and with OS 10.8.4 I am able to view the content on my MBP screen on the tv. How is the quality then?

iPhone 5
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

You get Netflix in Estonia?

QUOTE Thanks
Trolle

I bought the tv there for the family to watch for a few weeks but am bringing it back to Denmark where we just got Netflix.

iPhone 5
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

An Apple TV would work - I'm going to have to remember that for these older computers.

Must have 10.8 and you won't have Airplay on that machine, but you can use AirParrot to stream your desktop. Read about why no Airplay here.

I've only done very minimal mirroring as I have an AppleTV, a B-R player with Vudu, Amazon, etc., along with my old MBP directly connected to my primary TV/surround system and to gigabit ethernet to a Win box with my media sitting on an external eSATA RAID drive.

QUOTE Thanks
Trolle

Well, you learn something new everyday. Thanks for the input re: Apple TV. Guess I will just go with a hardwired connection. The store had all the necessary connectors and cables.

iPhone 5
QUOTE Thanks
Nabooly

Nabooly is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2.16 GHz 250Gb HDD 2.5Gb RAM

Wow....Bobtomay you are awesome!

But I need some help. I am looking to buy a ~32" TV to connect to my MBP. I don't want to buy a TV and end up limiting or slimming my options of connectivity. I am completely illiterate with TV's and their connections (It's like the one electronic that I cannot understand )

Here's what I have:

I would like to get audio from the TV. I have a small apartment and don't want to deal with the extra cables from a sound system.

Usage would be basically as an external display. I want my computer screen to be displayed on the TV. Mainly for TV shows and movies (not from netflix etc.).

Any recommendations on a TV? No need for links, that will be my responsibility . Just a brand and model number if possible. Budget is a maximum of $350. I don't need anything fancy like wifi built in or smart apps and all that stuff (unless they are necessary for a setup).

Edit: Before I get any replies, I just wanna make sure I have the cable part straight. What I need is a Mini-display port to HDMI adapter, an HDMI cable, and an RCA to 3.5mm Audio jack cable. Correct?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Nabooley:
To be honest: Don't have a clue what may be available in that price range.
If I've ever owned a TV in that price range it's too long ago to remember.

Am personally a Panasonic buyer currently because their plasma displays are the best displays on the market. Am down to only 2 TVs in the house - both are Panny plasma displays.

Brands I recommend looking at include Panasonic, Toshiba, Hitachi (are they still making tvs?), and Sony.

Happen to find an LG or Sharp you like at the price point you want, they make some nice TVs also.

I wouldn't buy one, but have to admit, at the lower price points, seems Vizio is the King of the throw away TV brands. I wouldn't buy a Sanyo either, but for those really needing a price point lower than the major players and can't find even a Vizio, well, ok.

Brands I recommend you never take home with you: Westinghouse, RCA, Phillips (in fact, all the names that were well respected in the 50s to 80s of the last century) and Samsung.

Brands I don't know anything about, but wouldn't give them a 2nd glance in the store:
Insignia, JVC, Element, Sceptre, Coby (and every other brand you've never heard of &/or is not a major player in the TV market). With TVs, stick with the name brand players.

What I recommend you look for would be a minimum of 2-3 HDMI inputs.
Check out Amazon at your price point, search by brand name.
Pick about 3 that have good reviews, then head to the manufacturers web site - look up the owner's manual and then buy the one that gives you directions in the manual for connecting a separate audio input with an HDMI input. If they've got those directions, then the rest of the manual is likely to be pretty good also.

As for cabling - get a TV with HDMI inputs and you have the right adapter/cable for that.

Audio cable - you won't know what you need until you pick the TV. Some use RCA jacks and some use a 3.5mm stereo jack to work with the HDMI input.

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Brands I don't know anything about, but wouldn't give them a 2nd glance in the store: Insignia,
I know all about that one... your favorite brand: Insignia is the Best Buy store brand made for them by Samsung.
QUOTE Thanks
Nabooly

Nabooly is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2.16 GHz 250Gb HDD 2.5Gb RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Nabooley:
[SNIP]
Alright thank you so much! I'm on it. My main issue was that there's literally hundreds of TV's within my budget so I had no idea where to begin.

Regarding the Panasonic plasma, my parents had a 46" one that went bad after 2 years. They had an extended warranty and it was replaced by a 50" Samsung smart tv LCD. Iliked both. Any reason why Samsung isn't recommended?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Stuff happens with all brands.

If you happen to get a Samsung that has a problem - worst customer service in the industry - bar none. Wouldn't wish them on anyone.
Based on my own personal experience with one of their video products, nothing produced by that company is allowed in my house.
Or, how would you feel if your TV broke down during the warranty and 6 months later it still was not fixed and the only offer the manufacturer was willing to make was for them to replace it with a unit who's retail price was 50% of the one you had paid for or you can continue waiting.

QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I suggest that before making a final decision you visit somewhere, if possible, and get a look at some of the brands you are interested in. I've noticed that there are some brands I can hardly stand to look at while others like those brands.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« audio breaking up | I'm a klutz! »