New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Connecting your Mac to your TV

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

travisw

travisw is on a distinguished road

Is there any set up where you can use your computer and full screen tv at the same time?

When I put things like Hulu on the TV and make it full screen I can no longer use my MBP as it will automatically exit out of full screen.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Full screen video use on a Mac is only allowed on a single screen. Why? Good question...

The best way I've found to get around it is to drag the window to full screen size.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
kraggedone

kraggedone is on a distinguished road

This is my first time on Mac Forums.. or any forum for that matter...and not sure how all this works... its taken me about an hour and a halrf to work out how to post this message! lol anyhow here goes.

I am trying to find out what leads I need to connect my 2009 MacBook with 2 GHz processor to my TV which is a 2009 Sony Bravia KDL-26V4500

SONY Support Country Selection Page

I have no other equipment. I just want macbook to TV connection with the sound coming out of the TV.

Can anyone help? or point me in the right direction?

Many Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

By Googling "KDL-26V4500", I draw the conclusion you are in the UK?? I mention that because the only place I know of that sells the cable you need is monoprice.com. I have no idea if they ship to the UK or have a UK site. But anyways, follow that link to see what cable you need to connect your mini displayport on the Macbook to the HDMI on your TV. You will also need one of these to send audio to your television.
Only you know the lengths required, so take these links as merely reference points.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Haven't checked, but if monoprice does not ship to the UK or you don't want to wait that long, grab a mini display port to HDMI adapter and a HDMI cable (just make sure it's classed as a 1.3c version cable at this point in time).

You will need to connect to HDMI port # 2.

For the audio, you'll need a stereo mini-plug (aka 3.5mm) at both ends like this one.

Here's a pic:

If you are willing to spend a little more money in order not to have two connections on the TV, you could get one of the following and a HDMI cable.

Mini DisplayPort + USB AUDIO to HDMI adapter cable by: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Mini DisplayPort + TOSLINK Digital Audio to HDMI: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

QUOTE Thanks
stevelamas

stevelamas is on a distinguished road

Hello, I have an early 2006 MacBook 2.0 GHz and a Panasonic TH-42PZ85U (here is the manual).

I was thinking of using this cable, but I was confused as to how I would go about the sound. I want the sound to come out of the TV speakers since I don't have any external speakers. Thanks for your time.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Welcome to Mac Forums
I just use with the same setup, a 3.5mm plug to left/right RCA plugs from my headphone jack on my MB to the RCA on my TV. You could do this with TV or Stereo.

I know this seems confusing as the HDMI supports audio, but the mini DVI doesn't output audio, so this is why you will need the above cables.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

You've got the right adapter there. Just add the length HDMI cable you need.

It looks like you're in luck. 6string has the right audio cable there - monoprice link. It will plug into the "Video In 1" connection.

Looks like you'll be able to use either of the two HDMI ports on the back.
Here's what it looks like in the manual on page 40.

You will also need to change the Audio setting for the HDMI input on the TV since it's expecting the audio on the HDMI cable.

See pgs 24-25 for how to adjust this setting - the how to is toward the bottom of 25.

QUOTE Thanks
stevelamas

stevelamas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
You've got the right adapter there. Just add the length HDMI cable you need.

It looks like you're in luck. 6string has the right audio cable there - monoprice link. It will plug into the "Video In 1" connection.

Looks like you'll be able to use either of the two HDMI ports on the back.
Here's what it looks like in the manual on page 40.

You will also need to change the Audio setting for the HDMI input on the TV since it's expecting the audio on the HDMI cable.

See pgs 24-25 for how to adjust this setting - the how to is toward the bottom of 25.

Thanks a lot!

And just one more question:

I recently bought Apple's Mini-DVI to Video cable to connect my MacBook to an older TV, but even with S-Video the highest resolution I could pick was 1024x768. Do you know if I'll be able to select 1280x800 with the hdmi cable and my hdtv?
QUOTE Thanks
imanwarih

imanwarih is on a distinguished road

hi Moderator, i have a question about connecting my Macbook Pro 4.1 with DVI-port to my Samsung p2470hd with HDMI-port.
I already tried to connect it directly with HDMI-DVI cable (brandhillips) and it worked but there's a problem with the display picture in my TV, the picture displayed in TV is not as good as in my mac, the resolution on my TV is worse, although the resolution is already 1080p and there is a shadow on everything that showed on the display e.g on letters, pictures, panels, icons, etc.
Then i switched my Mac OS to windows XP (i have installed Windows XP on my Mac) and the display picture in my TV becomes better as good as the display on my Macbook Pro (with Windows XP)
is it always like that or there is a mistake that i've made with setup or maybe with the cable connector?
i would really appreciate your answer, thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

imanwarih:

Nope, you've done nothing wrong and there is no problem with your display if you have set the output to match your TV's native resolution.

imho: MS got this one right and is one of the reasons I use a Win machine as my primary HTPC. You can read about the differences in font rendering between the two OSs here.

You should find it totally fine for any graphics, but if you're accustomed to MS Cleartype, some folks are just not going to like text on a big screen TV, myself included.

QUOTE Thanks
jan.millan

jan.millan is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: macbook pro 15" 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7 IMAC 20", IPHONE 3gs

Connecting your Mac to your TV

your instructions are mac model tv model and where is the audio so here i go.

Macbook specs:

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/1739/picture2hgf.png

Tv specs:

Dynex 40" lcd tv

DX-L40-10A
i cannot find a online user manual but i will gladly scan and send anything that is required.

audio option:

i dont have a home theater so id like the sound to be on the tv if its to much of a hassle i guess it would be fine to use the audio on the computer speakers its mainly for photoshop and design software tho it would be nice to use itunes so i dont need my ipod and dock. while i work.

thanks!!

-jan
janmilandomenech@gmail.com
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Your MB has a mini-displayport.

Dynex does not have manual for this TV available online, which means, you'll need to do some work here. The idea is that you want to use HDMI if possible. I have a feeling you won't be able to, but we'll check it out.

You need to open the owner's manual and go to the connections section. You're looking for a mention of connecting a DVI device. If it has the mention of it, it should have a picture showing you which HDMI port to use and where to plug in the audio for it.

You can also look on the back of the TV at the connections. If you can use an HDMI port with separate audio, one of the ports should be labeled "HDMI (DVI)" or similar.

Let me know if you find either of those.

QUOTE Thanks
ptpro

ptpro is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
This is for ptpro's equipment.

No problem. Wasn't really the wrong section, I'm just starting to try and keep some of these in one place so they'll be easier for not only myself to find them, but others that may come looking also.

From what you've said, you have an early '09 MacBook Unibody with the 2.0Ghz.
This would be the mini displayport on your Mac.

Since you have a spare HDMI cable already, there are a couple of options open to you for the video side.

1. A mini displayport to HDMI adapter (less than $9 here) and use your HDMI cable.

Or keep your HDMI cable for that Blu-Ray player you've been eyeing and get a:

2. Mini displayport to HDMI cable in the length you require (from $9-$13 here).

For the audio with either of the above you will need a 3.5mm mini-plug to RCA cable like this one.

Option 3. Is this handy dandy device - much more expensive - and not really worth it imho in your particular scenario, but some folks will want and/or need this option. Read the description there for an overview.

You'll find the exact picture for your connections on page 45 of the owner's manual and you want to use the HDMI-DVI conversion diagram. Here is a cleaned up version for you depicting the first two options. The 3rd would not have the audio connected to the TV, since they would now be combined via the adapter into the HDMI cable.

Hi again,

I finally got the cables in the mail and set everything up, except the sound isn't working. I went with Option 2 from above post. (Thank you bobtomay for your help with that). The video part is great. I checked my computer Preferences under "Sound" to make sure it was playing through the headphone jack. Is there something I need to check on the TV to make sure it's on the right setting?
QUOTE Thanks
Cooke159

Cooke159 is on a distinguished road

I can't get any audio to come through from my iMac to my TV. I have a LG 42PQ30 42-Inch 720p Plasma HDTV, and for hardware I have a mini dvi to hdmi connected to HDMI port 1, and I just bought a 3.5mm audio male to male end which I plugged into my headphone jack in my iMac and connected it to the audio in (RGB/dvi) port in the back of the TV. I am not getting any sound and am getting quite frustrated, if you could help me resolve this problem I would be very happy. Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« audio breaking up | I'm a klutz! »