New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Connecting your Mac to your TV

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

That is not a converter. That is an adapter. The two are not the same.

All of the converters will be called a converter such as the ones I linked to in post # 5 with an option from both Amazon and monoprice. Those 2 are a couple of the least expensive converters you'll find. You will not find one for under $20 and will find some up to $100. The converters will also require a separate power source. Without going back to check, I believe both of those units use a USB port for powering the device. If you want one that plugs into the wall instead of taking up a USB port, a little googling or checking on Amazon should find one.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
le boon

le boon is on a distinguished road

Hi i have a 2009 MBP

i have the mini dvi/display port to DVI and a DVI to VGA to hook it up too my LG 19ls4d

the difference with the 4 extra pins in the dvi to vga i have simply folded them out of the way? if this correct?

the display has no reaction although the mac detects that a second screen is present the tv doest display anything?

any help would be amazingly helpful thanks
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

1. No such thing as a mini dvi/display port. Your Mac will be either a mini-DVI or a mini displayport. According to my memory, you should have the mini displayport on any 2009 MBP.

2. No, you can't just go bending pins or breaking them off two different plugs to fit together and expect them to work.

3. See post #5 in this thread. For a VGA connection you can stop reading at item # 1.

QUOTE Thanks
dougthoreson

dougthoreson is on a distinguished road

Hey there, here's what I've got:

2008 Macbook: Model Indentifier Macbook 4, 1; Model No: A1181

My TV is: an Insignia - NS-L22Q-10A - 22" LCD TV - 720p

For Audio, I'd like to hook everything up to my speakers, which are Bose Companion II multimedia speakers.

I'm planning on using the mini-DVI output to hook it up somehow, but wasn't sure specifically how to do it. Any thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

bobtomay...... you should be getting paid for this
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

dougthoreson

You have 2 options for connecting the video.

1. HDMI
You'll need a mini-DVI to HDMI adapter and an HDMI cable.
While the owner's manual says you cannot connect a DVI device to the HDMI 2 (the one on the side), I'm guessing you can since your audio is going direct to the speakers. If you try HDMI 2 and it doesn't work, you'll have to move it to HDMI 1 (the one on the back). It could be that HDMI 2 will not provide a computer with the proper EDID.

2. VGA
You'll need a mini-DVI to VGA adapter and a VGA cable.

You'll need to set the resolution also. Open up System Preferences - Displays. You should have 2 windows open and I'd recommend setting the resolution for the Insignia to 1360 x 768, no matter which connection you use.

For the audio, nothing will change the way you're already connecting to those speakers.

QUOTE Thanks
dougthoreson

Thanks bobtomay. One last thing: Is there an advantage to going through the HDMI port instead of the VGA?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougthoreson View Post
Thanks bobtomay. One last thing: Is there an advantage to going through the HDMI port instead of the VGA?
HDMI vs VGA

The simple answer for your 22" screen, use HDMI if you have a free HDMI port. If both your HDMI ports are being used, or will soon be used by other devices, then I'd go with the VGA.

It's not really that simple a question. I could get into 1:1 pixel mapping and all sorts of technical stuff, but I won't. I'll provide the basics of what most really want to know, not only for your specific case, but also in general for future readers as it relates to connecting to a HDTV.

Also of note: I am a hobbyist, not a professional. I personally moved to DVI upon it's initial introduction and believe that maintaining a digital signal throughout the chain is the best course. I have not used/tested a VGA connection in my home for many years, so I can't provide a response based on my own experience related to some issues.

With HDMI, the first issue you'll have to deal with is overscan. (See post #2, item #2.) Any TV that provides the capability of turning overscan off, I'd go with HDMI. Those TVs that do not have this capability built in... for a TV under maybe a 42", I'd recommend VGA... at 42" and over go with HDMI and live with the overscan issue or spend the time creating a custom resolution to take care of it.

For dealing with overscan, it's time to pull out the owner's manual, or just start going through the video menu to find it. Your TV does provide the option of turning overscan off in the Picture menu.

First hurdle resolved.

The next issue for most is the appearance between the two connections. You'll find some users that report no discernable difference between the two connections. However, a lot is going to be dependent on the electronics they used for each port in the individual model. I tend to believe that most of them would be using the better electronics in the HDMI side than they are with VGA. Primarily because a VGA connection for most manufacturers is an after thought along with the fact that VGA is dead.

The vast majority that have actually spent the time comparing them have found several improvements with HDMI over VGA... primarily brighter colors vs washed out colors, deeper blacks and less tearing of the picture while watching fast motion scenes such as sports. However, much of the tearing is going to depend on the quality of the display.

While I have no empirical evidence, I would say the difference in appearance between the two connections would be more noticeable with LCDs and Plasmas built in the last 2-3 years and not so much on the first 2-3 years worth of HDTV models on the market.

For others considering using VGA, before you go out and purchase that new adapter/cable, open up the Owner's Manual and check to see which resolutions your model TV handles through VGA. There are a great many HDTVs on the market that do not accept even the TVs native resolution through VGA and there are some that will only accept a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Hopefully this will give you (and others) a brief rundown, at least enough to make your own decision as to which will work best in your situation.

QUOTE Thanks
dougthoreson

Thanks again. Last thing, I promise: My brother has the same computer as me and is thinking of getting a 22" Samsung LN22B460B2D, if he gets that one can he also run it as a monitor?
QUOTE Thanks
janeway_usa

janeway_usa is on a distinguished road

Hi, I have a MacBook Pro 2.8, 15in 2010 and a Samsung UN55B8500 55" 1080p LED HDTV (2009 MODEL) here is the link to the tv info

Support for UN55B8500 55" 1080p LED HDTV (2009 MODEL) SAMSUNG

I would like to hook my macbook to the tv to watch movies, etc. I will probably use the sound on the tv for now because the receiver we have is very old and I am not sure it will have connections for something like this.

Can you help me figure out what I need?

Thanks for your help and your time.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

janeway_usa

I'd recommend the MDA (mini displayport) to HDMI cable available from monoprice.

You can also use a MDA to HDMI adapter and a HDMI cable.

You'll need to connect your Mac to HDMI IN - 1 (DVI).

For audio, grab a stereo mini-plug cable - link.
This will plug into the PC/DVI audio port.

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougthoreson View Post
Thanks again. Last thing, I promise: My brother has the same computer as me and is thinking of getting a 22" Samsung LN22B460B2D, if he gets that one can he also run it as a monitor?
When he gets it, open up the owner's manual to page 13 and you'll have the cables and ports with diagrams for both HDMI and VGA.

QUOTE Thanks
janeway_usa

janeway_usa is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your help! I have ordered the cables and can't wait to try it.
You're the best. Thanks for your quick response.
QUOTE Thanks
belwell

belwell is on a distinguished road

Hi there.

Today I purchased a mini-displayport to HDMI cable and tried hooking it up to my TV (Philips 26pw9100d/37). My Macbook Pro flashes a blue screen once or twice upon plugging in the cord, and the TV is listed is the display options, but I can't seem to get any picture on the TV. I have tried all of the different combinations of turning on the TV and mac before/after cords are plugged in, and there are still no signs of life. I have tried every display option listed in the preferences, but still no picture. I'm afraid that the TV simply too old (5 years?) or lacking the necessary components (are there any other than an open HDMI port?) Any help would be great.

Macbook Pro
Snow Leopard 10.6.3
Dynatron MDP to HDMI cord
Philips HDTV 26pw9100d/37 26" 'Real Flat Picture Tube"
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Now that's an oldie today. There was quite a bit of issue connecting that set even to Windows when it was new. Some with no luck and some only getting it to connect at 480 even with DVI to HDMI. I really think the TV just is not passing good info to the computer. There weren't that many of us already connecting our computers to our TV sets just 5 years ago and none of the TV manufacturers were considering it. At that time, most folks were just concerned with getting their OPPO hooked up.

Have seen other's suggest those early Phillips models may be sluggish syncing when changing inputs and to try changing the input back and forth a few times, waiting each time.

As for order to turn on, best bet for order: have the cable plugged in, turn on the TV (have the TV set to the HDMI input when you turn it off, not changing it after it's turned on) - wait for however long it takes that set to warm up, then turn on the Mac.

Once the Mac is on, you'll need to open up system preferences - displays - head for the appearance tab and put a check in mirror displays for the time being. Then move that display window out of the way and see if you have a separate display window for the tv. If so, try different resolutions until you find one that will work. If you're not even getting the appearance tab or the separate display window, the TV is not providing the proper EDID info to the computer. If this doesn't work, I'd say it's probably a no go.

Even the TV's that did work with Windows at that time, most of them would not work with Linux at all via HDMI. And that was before my time with a Mac.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« audio breaking up | I'm a klutz! »