New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Can I use my new Macbook Pro as a monitor for a PC tower

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nikstar

nikstar is on a distinguished road

Hi

This may seem like a strange question but it's basically a space saving solution I need!

For my work I need a software package that only runs on Windows and I refuse to put windows onto my brand new Macbook Pro. So work has given me an old PC tower and monitor.

However, having a second computer, monitor etc on my desk has become very cramped and I am wondering if I can plug the PC into my Macbook to use it as a monitor.

I hope someone can tell me if this is possible and how!

Thanks
Nik
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Not possible. The only Mac that has both input and output video is the new 27" iMac. If you had that instead of a MBP you could use its monitor. Your MBP only works in one direction - video out.

Solution: Put Windows on your MBP. I have Windows 7 running on mine and it runs great. Gives me the best of both worlds.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Have you looked at Connect Across Platforms with Remote Desktop Connection | Mactopia? It allows Macs running 10.4.9 and higher to control Windows boxes (XP Pro, Vista, and a few others) without needing to have a second monitor.

I have not used it personally but it seems like it will do the job. I suggest you check the limitations though. One limitation is that it apparently cannot wake a hibernating machine. unless I misread some of the information.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
nikstar

nikstar is on a distinguished road

Solution: Put Windows on your MBP. I have Windows 7 running on mine and it runs great. Gives me the best of both worlds.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response. I was going to put Windows on but then my Mac dealer told me I would have to also install anti-virus to protect my MBP from Windows viruses. He did not recommend so I chickened out. Now Im not sure...
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikstar View Post
Thanks for the response. I was going to put Windows on but then my Mac dealer told me I would have to also install anti-virus to protect my MBP from Windows viruses. He did not recommend so I chickened out. Now Im not sure...
Well, that's at least half right so I guess that's a start. If you decide to put Windows on your Mac you would need to install anti-virus protection on your Windows partition. Just as you would for a Windows PC. Some, although I think it is a small few, of our members also run anti-viral software on their Mac partition but that seems to be more to prevent spread of Windows viruses to their Win using friends.

You might want to check out this thread The Official Mac AntiVirus and Firewall FAQ

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problems changing from Spain PC to UK mac keyboard | Corrupted DMG files on external drive... »