Angry Problems changing from Spain PC to UK mac keyboard
    Hello, I've had some problems with my keyboards on a new Mac Mini. I originally tried to set up the mac for use with a spanish keyboard, discovered that this was, in fact, impossible, and settled for some other layout which the computer offered me. I soon was heartily fed up with the completely alien layout that it seemed to think suited the keyboard, and in exasperation ordered a mac keyboard. Now that I have received this, i have another problem: when I plug it in and go to keyboard setup in system preferences, there is no option to "detect keyboard type" or anything of the like, until I unplug the keyboard, at which point the offending button merrily pops up to taunt me.
    I would like to know how to set up the mac for use with an Apple uk keyboard. Is this at all possible?

Specs:
    MacMini 4.1, OS 10.11 and 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.11, MacBook 4.1, OS 10.6.8
    Normally, when you plug in a USB keyboard, a dialogue pane appears asking you to press a combination of keys so that the OS will recognise a) the hardware and b) key configuration.

SysPrefs offers Change Keyboard Type (I'm using Tiger). I have to ask a rather obvious question - after you've plugged in the new Mac k/b, have you actually tried using it?

Third item - have you changed the settings in SysPrefs > International to your present location and language?

Lastly - if all else fails, the MacOS will work readily with an ordinary (and much cheaper) PC keyboard.
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Problem solved
    Thanks for the feedback, but I solved the problem myself. Given the utter (and infuriating) failure of the keyboard option in system preferences to be vaguely useful, in a flash of inspiration I went into languages. Not the most obvious place to look, give the clearly labeled Keyboard option in the menu, but I was exalted to see an "input sources" section. I changed it to British and all was solved.

A most frustrating and counter intuitive process. One of the many reasons I use Linux.

Specs:
    MacMini 4.1, OS 10.11 and 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.11, MacBook 4.1, OS 10.6.8
    Of course - languages! Using International would have got you there as well. These things are sent to try us, and you now have the knowledge to impart to others.
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Thread Information