New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Mac newbie DVD burn

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Zekelander

Zekelander is on a distinguished road

Someone please help me.. I have looked through the forums for an answer but nothing has helped yet. Im trying to burn movies to dvd that will work on my home dvd player. I have assorted files such as, AVI, MKV and WMV. Can I do this with IDVD? This is my first mac and Ive only been using it for about a week. Can someone explain to me the process in MAC NEWBIE terms? Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Assuming that you're within applicable laws, and the rules of this forum, Handbrake might be your best option. Handbrake has a good Help subsection to assist you. In what format are regular dvds that you watch on your player? Use that same format.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Does Handbrake actually do the burning? It sounds like the OP is trying to convert, but also burn to a DVD video disc, suitable to play in an ordinary DVD player.

For those purposes, you might do well to take a look at Roxio Toast, which has converters as well as a burning program to do this.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Zekelander

Are there any FREE program(s) that I can use that will convert to a file type that will play on my home dvd player as welll as burn?
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Best free Mac Video Converter - free download Video Converter for Mac The free version has limitations.

Because video conversion is very popular, free software to do it is rare. If you want suggestions about paid-for apps, post back.

Handbrake is free, and it also does some conversions. Download HandBrake for Mac - Versatile video encoder; convert any source to MPEG-4 and more. MacUpdate Mac Software Downloads

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

The first one you linked to is the same software that is rebranded for Aiseesoft and iSkySoft. It is universally reviled for being flakey and advertised via spam. If you want to support a company like that, I would be very cautious with your personal information.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekelander View Post
Someone please help me.. I have looked through the forums for an answer but nothing has helped yet. Im trying to burn movies to dvd that will work on my home dvd player. I have assorted files such as, AVI, MKV and WMV. Can I do this with IDVD? This is my first mac and Ive only been using it for about a week. Can someone explain to me the process in MAC NEWBIE terms? Thanks in advance.
To use iDVD, you'd have to convert those files into a format iDVD understands, such as MP4. You can use the free Redux Encoder to do this, but I'd suggest first installing Perian and Flip4Mac WMV player (both free).

The commercial product Toast by Roxio will allow you to just throw in nearly every kind (those WMVs may nor may not work) of video file into it, sit back (for quite a while!) and it will just convert and burn the disc for you.
QUOTE Thanks
Zekelander

ok thanks guys I will give them a go
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Max VGA resolution | HP 2400 Printer sharing via dell to imac/macbook pro »