New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Broadband adsl modem problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

illustrator40

illustrator40 is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but I have searched the site and not come up with anything...

I have today bought a secondhand 17" iMac intel core duo, to replace my 600mhz g3 powerPC iMac.

I thought I would be able to plug my external adsl modem into the new computer, but it doesn't seem to have a modem cable port, or at least mine doesn't seem to want to click into what looks like the modem port.

I am not very computer literate so I can't understand how I can now connect to my adsl broadband connection! I don't want to go wireless - is there a solution?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

None of the new iMacs have adsl modem ports, you were trying to put it in the ethernet port. Lets hope you haven't damaged it.
Apple used to sell a USB modem for this, but I don't think it available any longer.
Wi-fi is the way, or at least a router and ethernet cable anyway.
Your ISP should supply one for free now, most do, just call and ask!

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
illustrator40

illustrator40 is on a distinguished road

I was gentle, it should be fine!

I guess a call to Virgin is on the cards then - thanks for taking the time to reply.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

ADSL modem connection to a Mac is by ethernet cable only, there is no dialup modem (RJ-11) socket on the newer iMac as there was on your old iMac.

An RJ-11 cable is used to connect the ADSL modem to the telephone socket/line. The plug on the end is quite small, almost square in profile.

An ethernet (RJ-45) cable and connector goes from the ethernet socket on your iMac to the modem (also called 'router'). The plug looks wider and slightly flatter, and it's more robust, as is the cable.

Don't worry, you wouldn't be the first and only person ever to try connecting RJ-11 to RJ-45 by mistake. The biggest risk is breaking off the little locking lug.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Quote:
I thought I would be able to plug my external adsl modem into the new computer, but it doesn't seem to have a modem cable port, or at least mine doesn't seem to want to click into what looks like the modem port.
Quote:
Originally Posted by illustrator40 View Post

I guess a call to Virgin is on the cards then - thanks for taking the time to reply.
If u have have a ADSL modem then all you need is the ethernet cable to connect the iMac.
You don't need a dial up modem, there is no point with ADSL - Look for the <•••> type symbol and connect the ethernet cable from that to your ADSL modem
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illustrator40 View Post

That's who I'm with. They sent a new modem and a D-Link router for free when I asked, and someone else here got a Netgear router after I suggested he called, so you should be well away.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« time capsule | Creation date on FAT32 flash drive »