New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Another Mini-DV to HDMI Thread

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

brokeenthusiast

brokeenthusiast is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone, I have read several threads about hooking up my macbook pro to my TV and I understand that it depends on what model you have as to whether or not you can get the sound to come across using the audio port.

I plan on buying a mini-dv to HDMI cable to get my video but sound is my main issue.

It's a Toshiba Regza 50" or so - Im going to find the owners manual to get the exact model number so I can check for an audio port that can be used while on a HDMI connection.

While I source the user manual is there anything else that I need to do? Any other options if I dont have the audio port? (a receiver for a surround system is out of the question)

Hopefully bobtomay with chime in!

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

lol - If sound from your TV is mandatory, I sure wouldn't purchase that cable... unless you like owning extra cables sitting around in drawers.

At least not until you know it will work. My best guess without the model #, is that you will need to use VGA.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
brokeenthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
lol - If sound from your TV is mandatory, I sure wouldn't purchase that cable... unless you like owning extra cables sitting around in drawers.

At least not until you know it will work. My best guess without the model #, is that you will need to use VGA.

So a Mini DVI To VGA Adaptor? I would still need to get my sound across using what?

edit: The TV doesnt have the port for sound to work with HDMI....
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Have you got the model # of the TV?

Have not looked at the Toshibas in a couple of years, but I think the PC port has your standard RCA left and right plugs. If so, you would use a mini-plug (3.5mm) to RCA for sound like this one.

Look at the back of your TV first.

And your MBP is one with a mini-DVI, not the mini displayport right?

QUOTE Thanks
brokeenthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Have you got the model # of the TV?

Have not looked at the Toshibas in a couple of years, but I think the PC port has your standard RCA left and right plugs. If so, you would use a mini-plug (3.5mm) to RCA for sound like this one.

Look at the back of your TV first.

And your MBP is one with a mini-DVI, not the mini displayport right?
Still looking for the book to get the exact model number...

This TV is actuall at work, we have one MBP with DVI and a macbook with mini-dv
QUOTE Thanks
brokeenthusiast

Okay, I've gotten all of the sound figured out and the video for the MBP is all good using a VGA to DVI cable. Now I'm working on the Macbook.

It has a mini-DVI port. I have a mini-DVI to DVI adapter...but here is the problem.

The mini-DVI to DVI adapter is terminates in a female DVI (D) port, which is incompatible with male DVI (I) ports:

Does that just mean that I need a dvi-d single link female to male dvi-d dual link
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Yeah, the mini-DVI to DVI is digital only. You won't get that connector to analog VGA without a converter box which is way more expensive then a new adapter.

For VGA you're going to need a mini-DVI to VGA adapter and you can probably save a little money on Amazon or monoprice and then a VGA cable.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sharp Printer/Copier Network Problem | Cinema display 22 power LED »