New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

What to do with my external HD?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ShawnBoucke

ShawnBoucke is on a distinguished road

I have an 500GB external HD which was a bit old, and I was afraid it may not last much longer (It may last 50 more year for all I know though). I bought a new 1TB external which I partitioned to have a Time Machine backup, and bootable backup, and a partition to hold all my movies so my MacBook is not bogged down with the large file sizes. I still have my old one, and do not know what to do with it. I've though about loading on Windows or Ubuntu, but do not know if I would ever use it. any ideas out there?
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

You haff come to the right place!

Is the drive currently 'bare', ie. is it not in any sort of enclosure? It can be used for storage, even backup, via an adaptor. Take a look at: Hard Drive to USB?

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
ShawnBoucke

ShawnBoucke is on a distinguished road

Yes, I have already put it in an enclosure. I just do not know what to use it for. I already have a time machine backup, a bootable backup, and a storage for my media partitioned on a larger external HD. What can I do with my old one. Is there any need to load Ubuntu, or Windows. I don't think I would ever need it. Should I make another backup incase both drives fail at the same time? What's your opinion?
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

Good job on the back-ups ! If you dont need the hdd now just keep it handy at some point everyone needs more space.

Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnBoucke View Post
Should I make another backup incase both drives fail at the same time? What's your opinion?
First, congratulations on being well organized with your drives.

Second, in your situation I'd use that 500 as a backup to your partitioned storage. I'm no expert on drive partitions, but I do notice threads on occasions about access problems. You can think of it too as an archive of movies which you can take to your friends' places to view on their massive monitors .

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnBoucke View Post
...and a storage for my media partitioned on a larger external HD. What can I do with my old one.
I would use your old drive to make a redundant backup to your storage media. The downside of partitioning your hard drive that much is that if something physically happens to your hard drive then you will loss all the partitions.

Losing the Time Machine and bootable backup isn't so bad because you will still have a copy on your computer unless you lose all 3 at the same time but if your storage media is the single copy then it will be gone. Since you are not using your old hard drive for anything, you might as well use it for a redundant backup.
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
I would use your old drive to make a redundant backup to your storage media. The downside of partitioning your hard drive that much is that if something physically happens to your hard drive then you will loss all the partitions.

Losing the Time Machine and bootable backup isn't so bad because you will still have a copy on your computer unless you lose all 3 at the same time but if your storage media is the single copy then it will be gone. Since you are not using your old hard drive for anything, you might as well use it for a redundant backup.
I was going to suggest this but I would have added that if going to use it for a redundant back-up then you might as well go one step further and keep it off site as well . The odds of both of your back-up drives failing without some outside force ( break-in , fire , flood etc ) are slim so.....

I have a TM back-up A CCC back-up sitting an my desk as well as a CCC back-up of my buddys system( and he has one of mine ). WE use this as an excuse to go to the others home every couple of weeks to have a beer or two under the guise of refreshing our back-ups!

Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayneal View Post
WE use this as an excuse to go to the others home every couple of weeks to have a beer or two under the guise of refreshing our back-ups!
Everyone knows that's the real reason why people should have off site backups.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Western Digital Passport Studio - bootable external | Target Mode Mac connect to a PC? »